Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum along with many others trying to compile information.

I have recently picked up a 08 LR3. It will see mostly highway with some weekend wheeling and fire roads to access hiking. I'm up in the air on whether or not a lift is necessary. Yes it looks nice, but is the added expense justifiable, since weekend mileage is about 500 miles? It came with 19s. I have a set of factory LR3 18s.

For those that have had the rod mod for a while (2 years plus) have you seen any added maintenance due to the new angles the lift produces? How much more do the bags have to inflate if I go with the L8 SYA kit with spacer? What have you been experiencing for MPGs?

It currently has 255/55/19 Toyo Open Country HTs. If I don't lift it I'll go with 265/60/18 Cooper Zeons. If I go with a lift, I'll run 275/60/18 Zeons.

Any info that can be provided is appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would vote not to lift it. Not for what you are using it for. However, I'd recommend buying the IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. It is an invaluable piece of kit and can lift your LR3 as well, in minutes. This way you can lift it if you need the extra ground clearance, or leave it at stock height if you want. I run 275/65R18 MT/Rs half the year. I am at stock height most of the time running around on the streets, no worries about angles and such. When I hit a forest service road I'm still good in stock heights. When I hit a trail on which I'll actually articulate or otherwise need more ground clearance, I simply plug in my IIDTool and select my saved setting that I've already set up to be ~2" higher.

It costs about $400 or $500 these days I think, but you WILL get your money's worth out of it. I ran a rod-mod for a few years; once I got going with the IIDTool I never looked back. I have the shortened rods sitting in a shoe box somewhere.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes, I run 32" tires without rods without any problems but:

1. Not on trails. Articulation causes rubbing.
2. No Access Height. I stay out of it because it will rub if I turn.

As for fuel economy, I guess I don't notice too big a hit. Maybe 1 or 2 MPGs on the freeway. We all know the LR3 is not a fuel sipper. I'd say the larger tires doesn't make an appreciable hit on economy. CV angles don't change running with stock rods. When I run taller on the trails they still look good. I mean we can do the trigonometry if we want to and then speculate all we want on if it's bad or indifferent for the vehicle. Bottom line is that it may not be bad but it's likely not good either. That's why I only run modified-height when I'm off-road. I don't bother with the alignment or anything, either. It's such a minimal portion of the overall mileage that it doesn't matter, especially at wheelin' speeds and with the tires at funky (articulated) angles.

Here are a few pics. It's lifted in this one. I couldn't find any of the LR3 not-offroad with the MT/Rs on. So the one in the snow shows how good the ground clearance can get; and the other pic shows what the 32s look like stuffed. You can also see the EAS at work emulating a solid axle in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't run rods for over 2 years, but I have run them for about a year and 2 months. So far, no issue related to the height rods. I have had to replace the compressor and I do need to replace my control arm bushings, but these are very well known issues that happen to LR3's; it comes with the territory of owning an 8 year old truck. The larger tires I'm running tend to rub very slightly at full steering lock when I'm making a U-Turn at speed (Think over 10 MPH); would be a non issue if my truck wasn't an '08 with the extended frame rails. I absolutely love the aggression that the lift and tires add to the LR3's standard look. If you want more photos of the vehicle, I've got more on my IG account "Soflorovers". Also, to give you an idea of how much taller a 2.5 inch rod lift with tires will make the truck, here's a comparison photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
To lift or not to lift depends on what you want to do with your vehicle and the look you want. If you want to run larger tires then having the 2.5 inch Johnson Rod lift is a good idea. In addition, the lift gives you a more aggressive look to compliment those AT or MT tires. Johnson Rods have been used reliably for the last six years as a simple and effective way to lift your LR3/4, Sport or Range Rover. Thousands of Land Rover owners lift their vehicles this way are are very happy with the performance and look. I continually get more Land Rover dealers using the product for their clients and to sell vehicles out of their showrooms lifted and with larger tires. No problem with lifting your LR3 if that is what you want.
LR3 Lift Kit, LR4 Lift Kit, Johnson Rods

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.