Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's differential lock by the way.. So I have been getting a slew of mixed info about going to a lock type diff. I was thinking of going Detroit lockers Rear and TrueTrac in the front.. Anyone out there have input on how these units behave in snow/rain/mud . I know how these units act on dry hills from a buddies rig but was wondering will it be a ton of improvement or will it just make my Rover a task to drive.. This is an upgrade that I'm just thinking about the Rover can get through some pretty hard trails but more traction wouldn't be bad right...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So are you going to be doing alot of snow driving? Lockers can make it a little more interesting at times on snow and ice, and that is not real bad once you get used to itm much less when you consider the great improvement when you're off the road.
I have a 99D2 with a Detroit and front T.T. also have HD rear axles, a must and 4:11's along with my CDL, my truck is only limited by how I drive. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
Mike J.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Disco Mike, ya I do a bit of snow driving but i would say 90% non-snow. I just dont want to fish tail like how my old Datsun 510 autocross car on heavy rain. ( or was it the powerful rotary powerplant i put in it ) hehe I might not go with it just learn to drive the truck the way it is being it also doubles as a Sunday Family car.. :drive:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I promise you if you go with the lockers you will find yourself spending more and more time off the road.
Mike J.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OriginalRoverdude said:
BTW, what are you driving? My suggestion would be to go in steps. First step, Locking Center Diff if you don't have that yet. I have an inexpesive and quick solution if you have an early DII. After that, kinda depends on what your driving.

www.roverdude.com
opps, that would be a RR classic with minimal mods like K&N blaster coil, 8mm spark plug wires, No cats ... shhhhhh ! but that really gave the rover a wee bit more ummmpth !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Disco Mike said:
So are you going to be doing alot of snow driving? Lockers can make it a little more interesting at times on snow and ice, and that is not real bad once you get used to itm much less when you consider the great improvement when you're off the road.
I have a 99D2 with a Detroit and front T.T. also have HD rear axles, a must and 4:11's along with my CDL, my truck is only limited by how I drive. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
Mike J.

I agree...see with a rear Locker in an awd rig in the snow it's not really bad....if this were a conventional 4wd rig that would see actual 2wd during the snow, that can get interesteing.

RJ

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OriginalRoverdude said:
87, 88 or 89+ ? That will tell us if you have a CDL yet? I've seen front and rear lockers with Viscous Coupling and did not seem to give lockers full effect.
another opps it's an 88 RR classic. so when you mean center diff lock you do mean the transfer case right? I know it parts the power distribution 50/50 front and back. Not unless this is other than what I think it is.. Hmmm :dunno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
87 Rrc Cdl

siam said:
another opps it's an 88 RR classic. so when you mean center diff lock you do mean the transfer case right? I know it parts the power distribution 50/50 front and back. Not unless this is other than what I think it is.. Hmmm :dunno:
After slipping to a halt this weekend 4wheeling my '87 RRC on dry, rocky, rutted up-hill terrain - I simply engaged the CDL and kept right on going. I honestly thought that it wouldn't help much and I would have to back up and try again, so I was pretty impressed. :buttrock:

Drew

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL.. all this tech talk can get a person lost in what topic is going on.. yes, yes I know I have a center locking transfer case but was more talking about the rear and front axels.. right on for the info peeps.. :D

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Siam,
I don't know what year or model your truck is, but if it has traction control youe least expensive mod is to do the CDL first. Without CDL yor 2 locking difs, no mater what you use, won't be as effective as they could be if you lock your t/case.
How much off road driving do you do, how hard a trail, and how often?
Mike J.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Have an 88 Range Rover Classic. I go up to Tahoe, Nevada side when snow falls. as far as trail difficulties I would say medium in difficulty level but this winter I would like to do a bit more mud and some water crossings up in the Downiville area ( Nor-Cal ) I guess just want the best possible performance when faced with hard trails.. But I have been told that Rovers are very capable Rigs if you take the time to learn how to drive them without any drive train changes.. oh ya Disco mike, when you say CDL locl you mean by just putting it on 4x4 Hi or Lo that should be on lock right or am I mistaken on that?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Siam,
All Land Rover, albiet the Freelander, are 4X4. Meaning 2 speed transfer case or 4 Wheel High & 4 Wheel Low. This is not a locking center differential. I do believe your 88 Classic does have a locking center diff. By moving the 2 speed transfer case knob to the LEFT, you then send 50% of the power to the front axel and 50% to the rear. Learn how it works, how to use it and once you have mastered your off-roading with what you have. Move on to the next level. There are some good books to explain this. But books can only explain how it works. Experience will be the best indicator of you and your rigs capability :drive: . Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
RRCs with CDL

Original Rover Dude - You're right for the 87 and 88 RRCs. The Locking Center Diff is engaged by moving the transfer case knob to the left. It has high and low CDL, though I haven't used the high range CDL yet.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
cool cool. thanks for the help but I have been doing just that when I go off-roading.. Just leaving it ( transfer case lever ) to the right when driving on normal city streets. I guess the CDL and transfer case box is the the same item just can be called one or the other. Normally use Lock Hi when in freeway speeds in snow or something and Lock Lo when creeping about in trails.. So at this point I guess I won't be putting lockers on my rear or front diffs.. I'll continue working with what I got... :drink1:

Edit: I meant 35 mph at the most when on road with the transferbox locked on Hi..

·
Registered
40 Posts
No CDL on the freeway

siam said:
cool cool. thanks for the help but I have been doing just that when I go off-roading.. Just leaving it ( transfer case lever ) to the right when driving on normal city streets. I guess the CDL and transfer case box is the the same item just can be called one or the other. Normally use Lock Hi when in freeway speeds in snow or something and Lock Lo when creeping about in trails.. So at this point I guess I won't be putting lockers on my rear or front diffs.. I'll continue working with what I got... :drink1:
Hey Siam - I lost you man. Maybe I was mistaken and the 88 doesn't have the Center Diff Lock, in any case it should never be used on the road. The transfer case changes from high to low, freeway to offroad. On my 87 RRC, you can also shift the little knob to the left for the center diff lock.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.