Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

To Sipe, or Not to Sipe ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about ready to throw on a new set of tires, as my side-walls look like they've been thru a war.

I'm wondering if I should sipe my inner lugs or not. I've had feedback both ways. Most say it helped on wet roads & slickrock, but most also say it caused the tires to wear faster. Others say they noticed no significant difference & it isn't worth the faster wear-down. I've also heard reports of the siped lugs chunking on rock.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
My friends that siped their tires did get better traction in snow and on rock, but the tire wore out very quickly.... They did lose small pieces on the rocks also... I guess it's what you want more.... Longer lasting tires or better grip while you have those tires....

·
Registered
590 Posts
I thought siping was only good for car tires. It seems that the tread would be more vulnerable knowing what SCSL put's his tires through in on any given weekend...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You can get a set of ProComp tires (MT) which come siped but the cuts start disappearing once the tread gets low. Does it help, sure it does... better than an BFG MT in the rain (especially on wet rock). Will you lose chunks of tire, well that depends on the tires.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My vote was for siping BUT-- My vote is for professionally done siping, not something you bodge at home. I have seen good and bad siping. The machine the tire shops use should only go around the tire once in any one spot and not right out to the edge of the tire. Siping is not (and hasn't on mine) supposed to cause chuncking off. Tires generally last longer, not shorter, due to running cooler. Traction is better, no question about that one. Don't take it out to the outer lugs, stop an inch in on each side. and don't have the guy overlap or you get too many slices that will then possibly cause pieces to flake off.

Mine are on BFG MT's. It only cost $15 CND a tire. A good investment I think!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Wow, this is a great thread. I just replaced my nearly brand new Toyo Open Country that were siped. I have to say that they were amazing.

They brought me though the worst winter reno has seen in over a decade and I didnt slip or slide once at all on any ice or snow.

Supposedly siping helps the tires cool down faster and therefore they wear less. I suppose if you over-siped them then they would shread and wear faster.

I was seriously considering siping my M/T when I first got them, but I had some issues that I could never fully answer. Even with siping only the inside lugs, im sure there is a high risk of chunking. Unlinke thinkroad tires, the M/T's have a ton of grip and large lugs that stick out from the tire, I could just see these lugs rip off from cuts induced by siping. I belive the best siping is mold-like siping, where the tires are siped when created from the tire mold. An example like this are in the interco SSR's. Though ive noticed that a problem with the SSR's is that after about 10k miles the siping seems almost gone because the weight of the vehicle on the tire actually squishes the rubber into the siping and it fills it up leaving only a tiny indentation where the sipes were/still are.

I concluded that I would not sipe my tires but rather just put that money into the next set. Though siping isnt expensive, destroying your tires would be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.