Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this isn't a dumb question but here goes.

I'm in the middle of changing out my water pump and have noticed that the bolts need torqued to 18 and 16 ft lbs. My torque wrench adjusts in only 10 inch lb increments. I can do the conversion to ft lbs but it doesn't allow me to set exactly 16 or exactly 18 but I can get close. Is this good enough or do I need to go out and purchase another torque wrench?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You should be fine with what you have, many people don't even use a torque wrench.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
If you have a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds, you need to get another one. You need one that measures in foot pounds for automotive work. Most torque wrenches that measure in inch pounds go to 150 inch pounds which is 12.5 foot pounds. Pretty much every bolt or nut on a vehicle will be torqued to a higher number than that. I have both and use the inch pound wrench for my downhill mountain bike.

Also, I've never seen a torque wrench that only measures in 10 foot pound or inch pound increments. Even the $25 ones at Wal-Mart are marked with all increments. There are usually hash marks in between the 10, 20, 30 etc. Those will represent all numbers between the ones indicated.

Colin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts