Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LR Newb
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago we bought a travel trailer and planned to pull it with our 2008 LR3. I thought the 565 tongue and 5145 total weight was close to the limit but thought we would be okay for short trips of 3-4 hours tops. So, we bought the camper and went to pick it up and when we hooked it up the rear end of the LR sank down so much the inside of the wheel wells were close to rubbing on the top of the tires. I had recently had the compressor replaced so I knew that wasn't the problem. We are using an aftermarket hitch and a weight distribution hitch.

Pissed off that we couldn't use the LR, I sold my Jeep :crying and bought an F150 and have used that to tow for almost two years now. Out of curiosity, I hooked up the trailer to the LR this weekend and it leveled out great. Engine running, engine off it sat perfectly level. I even left it hooked up all night to see if it would sink over night but it was fine.

So, the question is, I see two different tongue weights thrown around online and not really sure if I'm over weight or if I'm good. Should I use the LR to pull this 28ft trailer or am I pushing my luck? I would love to sell my truck and get another Jeep but not if it would be dangerous to pull the trailer with the LR.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Towing weights have been continually driven upwards by manufacturers over the last decades- by their marketing departments and not by engineers. It got so bad that the feds stepped in. It may tow it under ideal conditions, but seldom do you get ideal. All it takes is another inattentive driver changing lanes on you and you slipping off the edge of the road at highway speed to make you wish you had a larger truck. I would definitely recommend auxiliary airbags on the F150.

Midsize luxury SUV's make lousy tow vehicles.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I know a guy towing a 26 ft trailer that is over 5,000 lbs and his set up looks great and he does not have any issues.
A lot depends on how you set it up with the weight distribution hitch and how much is packed in the trailer and vehicle.
If you send me a PM I can give you his email address as he would be happy to share info with you.

·
LR Newb
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards not using the LR for towing but the only difference I see between the LR and the F150 is the horsepower. The LR has 300 and the F150 has 350. Both vehicles weigh about the same but I guess the shorter wheelbase could be a factor.

Looks like we will probably sell the camper in about a year and get a smaller one so it won't matter at that point.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Two years ago we bought a travel trailer and planned to pull it with our 2008 LR3. I thought the 565 tongue and 5145 total weight was close to the limit but thought we would be okay for short trips of 3-4 hours tops. So, we bought the camper and went to pick it up and when we hooked it up the rear end of the LR sank down so much the inside of the wheel wells were close to rubbing on the top of the tires. I had recently had the compressor replaced so I knew that wasn't the problem. We are using an aftermarket hitch and a weight distribution hitch.

Pissed off that we couldn't use the LR, I sold my Jeep :crying and bought an F150 and have used that to tow for almost two years now. Out of curiosity, I hooked up the trailer to the LR this weekend and it leveled out great. Engine running, engine off it sat perfectly level. I even left it hooked up all night to see if it would sink over night but it was fine.

So, the question is, I see two different tongue weights thrown around online and not really sure if I'm over weight or if I'm good. Should I use the LR to pull this 28ft trailer or am I pushing my luck? I would love to sell my truck and get another Jeep but not if it would be dangerous to pull the trailer with the LR.
I am extremely confused by your post.
You start by se scribing a 2008 lr3 with a weight distribution hitch receiver.
I remember seeing demos when weight distribution systems were becoming popular. I saw a display at a car show where they had the rear wheels off of a full size Chevy van hooked to a loaded car trailer with another full size Chevy van on it. I'm sure it was cranked up but it sat pretty much level. Are you possibly confusing a sway control setup with a weight distribution system?
You state you were pissed of that you could not use the "LR" so you sold your JEEP???? is this another vehicle ?... Or are you referring to your Land Rover as a JEep?. Sacrilige to some ;)
So you sold ????? Vehicle and bought a Ford F-150 and towed with it for 2 years. No problem.
You then for shits and giggles hooked up the same Land Rover to the same trailer and it miraculously "levelled out great"...... O.k now I think you didn't sell the originally described 2008 LR3 (maybe you had a Jeep too) wise choice seeking it if you did.
You also in a secondary post compare the only difference between the Land Rover and the F150 being 50 horsepower ....... And maybe wheelbase?
How about leaf spring vs air springs.
Solid axle vs independant suspension
Frame design, rear body weight, wheelbase, overall vehicle length
Pretty much impossible to directly compare the 2 a pick up is built as a utility vehicle and LR3 surely was not.

I will agree that the lR3 or any other mid sized S.U.V. Is no suited to pulling a 28 foot camper.
5154 also does not include the 1000 or more pounds of "stuff", that gets likely packed into that trailer.
Enjoy the f150 beat the snot out of it. That's what it was designed for.

Enjoy the LR3 for what it is and what it was intended for.
Looking cool, trips to the mall and soccer practice, occasional light off road use.;):laugh

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Truth be told, the F150 isn't much better. At least it has less of a marshmallow suspension.

When you drop a wheel off the side of the berm and into the grass, you'll be ready to sell your soul for more truck.

·
LR Newb
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to have confused you, it made perfect sense in my head. I'll try to clear it up for you in your post below.

I am extremely confused by your post.
You start by se scribing a 2008 lr3 with a weight distribution hitch receiver.
I remember seeing demos when weight distribution systems were becoming popular. I saw a display at a car show where they had the rear wheels off of a full size Chevy van hooked to a loaded car trailer with another full size Chevy van on it. I'm sure it was cranked up but it sat pretty much level. Are you possibly confusing a sway control setup with a weight distribution system?

No, I did not confuse it with the sway control. This hitch has both the weight distribution system and the sway control. No confusing the two.

You state you were pissed of that you could not use the "LR" so you sold your JEEP???? is this another vehicle ?... Or are you referring to your Land Rover as a JEep?. Sacrilige to some ;)

I would NEVER call a LR a Jeep or call a Jeep a car!:eek Before this all started, we owned a Land Rover and a Jeep Wrangler. The LR was paid for the Jeep was not so in order to keep only one car note we sold my Jeep and bought the F150.

So you sold ????? Vehicle (Jeep) and bought a Ford F-150 and towed with it for 2 years. No problem. Yes

You then for shits and giggles hooked up the same Land Rover to the same trailer and it miraculously "levelled out great"...... I doubt it was a miracle but yes it was level.

O.k now I think you didn't sell the originally described 2008 LR3 (maybe you had a Jeep too) wise choice seeking it if you did.
You also in a secondary post compare the only difference between the Land Rover and the F150 being 50 horsepower ....... And maybe wheelbase?
How about leaf spring vs air springs.
Solid axle vs independant suspension
Frame design, rear body weight, wheelbase, overall vehicle length
Pretty much impossible to directly compare the 2 a pick up is built as a utility vehicle and LR3 surely was not. Yes, I did mention wheelbase but thank you for letting me know the other differences. Do all of those also effect the towing characteristics? I was simply referring to how well it would pull on the road and didn't think of things like springs or frame design having much influence.

I will agree that the lR3 or any other mid sized S.U.V. Is no suited to pulling a 28 foot camper.
5154 also does not include the 1000 or more pounds of "stuff", that gets likely packed into that trailer.
Enjoy the f150 beat the snot out of it. That's what it was designed for.
That is pretty much the decision I made but I will not be beating the snot out of it. I hope to sell it at some point for as much as possible.

Enjoy the LR3 for what it is and what it was intended for.
Looking cool, trips to the mall and soccer practice, occasional light off road use.;):laugh

Thanks for the info and I hope I made it a bit more clear.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Wheel base makes a big difference. My LR3 has more horsepower than my Expedition but I can promise you the trailer hitch on the Expedition is always the one seeing the load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.