Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally went to pick up my first land rover. Well it was a pile, the dealer said that it ran out perfect and had no leaks. Boy was he wrong. I showed up and went to start it... tick tick tick. What I thought was a valve was just tappin away. So I put it into reverse, clunk... it shifted extreemly hard. I still drove it though. It drove quite nice and felt super smooth. however when I arrived back at the dealership I parked the car and let it idle. The tapping grew louder as it idled, all the way to were I thought it was a knock. This car was ready to go. And if to make matters worse it also leaked like a siff. there was fluid everywere, on the engine, powersteering, and transmition. this car was done. so if anybody goes to a little town in indiana called thorntown and know of a guy named josh, tell him I hate him and wish that he would die;) just joking about the dieing part. put that was a waste of a day.

Anyways to my question. I am hopefully picking up another rover today but it needs to be towed. can I tow it on a dolly by putting everything in nutural and how hard is it to disconnect the drive shaft? thanks.

·
MG
771 Posts
In the past 3 weeks I've had my Disco towed on 3 different occasions, all of them by a traditional tow truck: one where they hook up to your front wheels and lift, and the other two where they elevate the truck from the front axle (this last method does test if the brush guard is attached tightly, for if it isn't, it'll butt into the hood and fender) - in all three cases I placed both levers in neutral and left the shafts alone, with no adverse effects. Before they started, though, I verified that everything was indeed in neutral.

If you're going to pull it up onto a dolly, aside from the winching, it should be a relatively low-risk operation.

Hopefully the second try will be better than the first. Good luck!

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Damn! You've been towed 3 times in as many weeks, what the hell happened? That sucks man.

·
MG
771 Posts
See both "Disco Down" threads - basically, garbage in, garbage out: until this past August, I wans't paying close attention to the parts that were being put into my rig. Something had to give...

It's all good, though, my car insurance provides a free towing servie, and now I'm here in LRO and learned my lesson on LR TLC!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
sorry about the bad experience... Tow w/ all 4 of if possible..... if not, make sure your transmission and transfer case are in neutral.... The shafts are easy to get out and that would be the safest way if you must drag 2 wheels on the groud... just make sure you make each side where you took it out... some chalk, crayon, or grease pen wil work

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally got my rover, Yaaah ... I am so happy, I ended up towing it with only the front to wheels up. I believe everything was in nutural, If everything is in nutural the car would be able to roll by being pushed. and the 4low 4 high shifter would be in the middle and two the right? Is there any other way to tell if I messed this up. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.