Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could give me the specs for towing with a land rover and a range rover. I am looking to purchase one of these but am a little bit hesistant of whether of not it could tow a open trailer and a car. Thank you in advance.

RvS

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 1995 discovery has a towing capacity of 1650lbs (unbraked trailers) and 7,700lbs (braked trailer). The Range Rover would be the same.
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Just a note on that 7700lb figure. That is the rating for low range, not high or standard. (I actually thought it was 7200lbs, that is what the D2 is anyway) Regardless though, I tow over 6500lbs all the time without a single issue. Just make sure the trailer is setup correctly and the load is balanced correctly, you'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
No it wouldn't that would be rather suicidal for a couple of reasons.

1 the weight is to much for a unbraked trailer and would cause a serious safety risk.

2. Your disco has a 100" wheel base and would get it's but whipped by something that long and heavy.

3. Buy a 3/4 ton or larger truck for that.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Im looking at a 96 Discovery to tow my 30ft camper.
The camper weighs 6720 lbs.
Would the Discovery tow if fine? Its not braked.
NO NO NO.... Don't do this!

My parents pulled a 25 (or 27') with their 97 Range Rover with the 4.6, It was braked and weighed in around 5800 with everything packed. I wouldn't go past that.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think the other guys are saying its a brake issue . how old is that trailer , that it dosent have brakes . being 30 ft. long , you would think it would .

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
A 96 Range Rover improves one of the drawbacks over a disco with the longer wheelbase 108" if I recall correctly. That's still an awful big load with no brakes on it.

It would be a better choice if it has the 4.6 in it.

Still not the greatest idea though.

And of course the early p38's have their own set of drawbacks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its a 1997 travel trailer. From what the owner said and what I saw when i looking at it. It has its own receiver hitch type thing. Then the trailer hooks the the ball on that then on that same receiver there are 2 smaller balls that 2 bars from the trailer hooks on too. So basically there is one main big ball the 2 smaller balls that "stabilizer bars" hook to.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I would be really surprised if a 30 footer that new didn't have electric or surge brakes you might want to double check that. If it does than with a decent sway control set up you will be ok I would think in the end with towing that. I'd still go for a 3/4 truck though lol. There would be noithing worse then spending all that cash only to figure out you can't stand the set up.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
If it is a 97 trailer that is not homemade then it has brakes. Easy way to tell is crawl under.. you will see drum brakes with wires going in. What is the plug like... if it is a 6 prong, 7 prong etc it will have brakes.. 4 pin is the no brake wiring.

Also does it have the emergency brake catch? a little cable with a pull loop that if pulled locks the brakes.. another way to tell.

Here is my parents Rover with their old set up... and this is all I would do with it weight wise. It did many miles all over the states, but if it was more I don't think it would have been as enjoyable!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.