Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few threads here from the past concerning wheels down towing, scant info in the owners manual, so my question is simple: Has anybody here actually towed a Discovery 2, behind a motor coach, wheels down without issue? Not stopping at any point to start the truck, idle the truck any of that, hooked it up, transfer case in neutral and off you go without incident?
Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently towed my two discos 1500 miles each on a car dolly with the rear wheels down from Colorado to Louisiana with no problems. You must put transfer case in neutral AND the transmission in park. The transfer case does not have a pump and will circulate oil with the gear movement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, I know from my wife having always driven Subarus that you can't tow AWD Subarus with all wheels down. My gut tells me you probably can't do it with an AWD Discovery either.

Edit: Well, you can tow with all 4 on the ground if there's a driver in the vehicle... sez the D2_Workshop_Manual. They discuss other configurations too.
Subaru and Land Rover are apples and oranges. The suby doesn't have a T-Case like the Land Rover as I believe it uses a clutch, think early RRC and the Viscous Unit. I've seen people flat tow Landy's before without issue. I think the key as mentioned is to have the T-Case in Neutral. At that point it's really no different than flat towing a Jeep except the front drivetrain will be spinning since there's no disconnect (AWD).

Edit: Not sure if I can link to another Forum but one of the larger RV forums has a nice thread about this and a link to a pretty good article that indicates the Defender, D1, DII and P38 are good candidates for flat towing.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towing-a-land-rover-135223.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.