Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New LR4 owner here and lots of questions unfortunately Land Rover themselves nor service personal can answer.

We picked up a travel trailer with plans to tow it using our LR4. Fast forward a bit now we have successfully towed it despite not having all the answers to my concerns. I'm already having to rely on my short experience as the best source of info. Lot's of misinformation out there from Camper dealers about you must have a load distributed hitch to tow or sway control hitch (not true). I'll give more details about what we're towing and how it's gone so far below.

On to the questions

1. Trying to find if there is a specific transmission cooling system folks install on this model for when they intend to tow a lot and long distance. The service centers in the area say they have never heard of it for the LR4. Also trying to determine any other mods I should consider to improve the longevity of the vehicle as we tow. I am also looking for a set of fans I can potentially install to help cool further. Appreciate any suggestions in this respect. I am concerned about towing long distance (hours on the road) outside of town and overheating the transmission.

2. Question about why the manual says the max tongue weight is 550lb and max towing weight 7,700lb. 550 is around 7% which falls outside the 10-15% safety range your tongue weight should be if we assume we're at max tow rating. This 10-15% ratio is one data point I really trust after much research and good sources. Also confusing on the factory receiver adapter from Land Rover it has printed the max tongue weight is 770lbs (not 550). Land Rover could not explain this discrepancy. Any experience towing beyond 550 or close to the max 7,700?

3. No clear information either way if a sway control bar or weight distribution hitch can be used. Saw lots of people comment that even some manuals say do not use them. My manual does not mention. I assume its something to do with the air bag system having problems with a weight distribution hitch is introduced. Any first hand knowledge with this?

Now onto my first hand experience thus far which is more valuable then most of the information I've gotten elsewhere. Our trailer is 6,680lbs dry with the propane tanks full. I checked it on a CAT scale. I also bought a tongue weight scale and the weight unloaded came in around 650lbs (100 over the max limit per the manual but within the 10-15% safety ratio). Fully loaded we're pushed right to the limit at 7,700lbs and between 650-700lbs tongue weight.

We have made several trips around town between camp sites and traveled on the interstate. No problems with swaying at all. I don't see the need for a weight distribution hitch. I've had one camper dealer tell me he would not allow me to buy a camper from them if I did not use a weight distribution hitch! Talk about putting a scare into your customers. I am using a simple adjustable ball mount. I had two other dealers tell me tongue weight doesn't matter! Just to stay below your max tow weight.

The other thing I am trying to figure out more about is the how the air bag system and any tow intelligence systems work on this vehicle. There is very little info in the manual and its not clear if our exact vehicle has for example the tow stability assist system. In driving I had the air bags seem to adjust on me one time when going up a very small hill. When this happened they caused the trailer to become unleveled. I then set the air bag control to the level setting (- dash indicator) and haven't had any problems since. It didn't even cause a problem when the vehicle adjusted that one time (just odd it would intentionally do something which would cause an undesired situation).

All that said, I'm gaining confidence that the vehicle can definitely handle this load and safely around town. My only main concern is #1. What can I do to help keep the vehicle cooler and no damage its life. Appreciate any insights and thanks to anyone who would take the time to ready this long post.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
105 Posts
Lots of stuff here based on my experience with other cars - not exactly LR specific, but I figured I'd try to help you out in some way.

1 - I have had to tow heavy trailers in my Volvo XC90, and there is also no aftermarket transmission cooler available for those. A lot of the Volvo guys that tow big trailers modify the weak factory transmission cooler by removing those lines and re-routing them to feed a larger cooler - usually a modified unit originally designed to be used as an engine oil cooler. This has proven to work well, and you may need to do something similar if you cannot find a ready-made solution.

2 - The 770 rating on the hitch sounds like the correct number - manufacturers generally use 10% as the magic ratio (for example, Volvo says that tongue weight should be 500lbs when towing a 5,000lb trailer). I have towed above the 5,000lb tow limit on the Volvo with about 650 lb tongue weight, and it behaved well at those weights, despite them being above the recommendations. I would personally stick with what you know, and keep within the 10-15% safety range. The hitch says it can take the weight, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, since this is a safe distribution. The numbers printed in the owner's manual also take into account number of passengers and cargo, so be sure to look for that (for example, the rating may be higher with a third row car vs. a two row car, which could be where the 550 vs 770 discrepancy is coming from - there could also be two different ratings depending on the engine your truck has in it).

I have no experience with weight distributing hitches, so I can't comment on that. I have always just run a regular hitch, even with 8,000+ lb trailers, and I have never had a problem. Your mileage may vary.

The weights you are running on your setup currently seem to be about right. If you don't have any swaying and you are around 10% tongue weight, I don't see a reason why your setup won't work properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No to weight distributing hitches, as long as you change tranny fluid I won't worry about it. I tow up to max weight (and a little more) in the Texas heat with my 05 D3. edit I do 893miles straight shot to my soon to be retirement cabin.

I also DO NOT use the LR hitch, I fitted a Curt one. And folks say you can't tow on coils, thats crap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did end up going with the stock LR hitch adapter and a curt adjustable ball. Very odd this LR hitch and $600. Main reason I went with it is the aftermarker one I got off ebay ($60) never specified its max ratings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts