Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to put a little air into my left rear awhile back and when I went to remove the cap the threaded stem shattered leaving the valve stem sticking out un protected. The TPMS still works just fine but I need to have this replaced as I can see driving around with that stem sticking out too much longer (its holding air at this point). So my question is "can I replace the stem by itself or is the TPMS one solid unit and I will need to replace the whole thing"?

I found this
TPMS fits Land Rover LR3 Tire Pressure Sensor

and this
Black TPMS Valve Stem

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
Why not run up to Discount Tire and let them replace it for you? Then if you have any issues, take it back. I don't think you can replace just the stem. Those that I have seen appear to be a sealed piece.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Black Art it is.

Tyre pressure sensors if not any longer a black art, are still a big headache.

The newer sensors that Schrader makes for GM etc have easily replaceable rubber valve stems - in fact you are to replace the rubber stem at every tyre change as in the past.

The sensor you provided links to is much the same except the stem may be a rigid type similar to that which seems to be on the 3 and 4.

I expect Land Rover Parts will tell you that the sensor they sell is one piece but that may have changed as well.

The trick is not really the sensor but mating it to the other three; you are probably best to go to a independent tyre dealer and see what they can find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
662 Posts
Siemens tyre sensors.

We appreciate the link.

You did well to find that link; I expect at Land Rover, you have to buy the whole new sensor. This way, it is about 1/10th cost and no programming to pay for either.

Let us know how the install goes. (Maybe you should order two given they are so cheap and the work in the ordering.)

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much just follow the video posted above. Local garage charged me 5.00 a wheel to pull the TPMS out then I installed the new stems and they re-inserted them. So about 90.00 total im invested instead of 150.00 a wheel.

·
Registered
662 Posts
you did well

You did well plus we appreciate you posting the information.

Your knowledge shared will be of real use to others.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also had the stem snap this weekend. I found the whole sensor at NAPA for $38, and the tire shop charged $27. I also found the rebuild kit on e-bay and will get that for the next one! This was a far less than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
662 Posts
NAPA part number?

Do you have a NAPA part number?

$38 sure beats the LR parts dept price and it is immediately available I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.