Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been ithching my head on this all day. I know how traction control accuates the ABS pump providing braking on the wheels that spin much faster than the other wheels. But does this same concept still work if I was to go mudding in some nasty mud about a foot or two deep, for about a good 1/4 mile of trail? I would imagine it would with all the one-wheel peels I see every time I hit the mud with my buddy and his Jeep. :dunno: I know that my RRC has Traction Control but that's my main question is does it work in some really nasty mud. I wonder.:shifty:

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Not exactly sure about RRC TC, but my DII's TC is basically the same system and when it comes to ultra thick swamp mud, the answer would be no.... Its not even the TC at that point, its that all of my 4 wheels had ZERO traction. As you can see from my mud video in my sig, all 4 wheels are spinning and nothing....glad we had a winch. Even if I had full lockers on my front, rear, and CDL engaged I dont think it would have made a difference. Oh, and I hope this is thick enough:

· Registered
5,761 Posts
If you have no traction, nothing is going to work. But as a general rule, the traction control still works in the mud. The only real issue with traction control is reversing down a hill. If you do not have a CDL, it tends to lock up the front wheels and can cause the vehicle to spin and roll on slippery hills in reverse.

Ian

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
keptin said:
Oh, and I hope this is thick enough:

Oh yeah that's about thick enough. Now that I think about this, I remembered that I went to hit the trails with that thick kinda mud and I went to survey the rest of the trail, which was about a 1/4 mile. I decided not to go because it had recently rained that morning and the trail was drenched plus my trailing back-up thought that if he needed to pull me out that he would get stuck in the process. As I went to turn around and get back on main road, i had to use the very beginning of the trail to bust a U-turn. The ground was pretty slick just like in that picture, but I knew i wasn't going to get stuck, it wasn't deep enough. As i backed up in my three point turn, I felt a clicking from the brake pedal like the ABS was coming on, but I didn't have any pressure on the brake whatsoever. What would explain that?:dunno: It puzzles me.:shifty:

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Your from Michigan so you know about driving in snow and on slick roads. The same concept about the traction control applys both to a muddy trail or a slippery snow covered road in that, the traction control can't MAKE traction where there is none to be had. It's only as good as the surface it has to work with. Also, if you are wheeling in mud that is a foot or two deep your forward progress will be hampered by the snow plow effect. Or the mud piling up in front of your vehicle! My guess on the pulsating brake pedal is that the trail you were on was just that slippery, that the abs kicked in when you applied the brakes.

· Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
Just as a side note. I've also heard that the traction control will "cut-out" if you floor it. This was intentional for those situations where the only way out is with a got bit of welly.

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was flooring it at some times to get my RRC moving as i was turning around. I agree on the concept where the Traction Control only works where there is traction to be had. It just recently snowed last night here in Lima, OH where I'm attending UNO (University of Northwestern Ohio) and we got about 2-3 inches, I couldn't tell when my TC was kicking on but I did hear what sounded like the ABS pump kicking on when I floored it through a fresh patch of snow. The thing was, my foot was no where near the brake pedal when I heard the pump kicking on. I dunno.

· Registered
388 Posts
RageRover said:
Yeah I was flooring it at some times to get my RRC moving as i was turning around. I agree on the concept where the Traction Control only works where there is traction to be had. It just recently snowed last night here in Lima, OH where I'm attending UNO (University of Northwestern Ohio) and we got about 2-3 inches, I couldn't tell when my TC was kicking on but I did hear what sounded like the ABS pump kicking on when I floored it through a fresh patch of snow. The thing was, my foot was no where near the brake pedal when I heard the pump kicking on. I dunno.
Your TC light will flicker when the traction control is being used.

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...I never noticed that. I'll have to test this again to make sure, cause I know I don't have the best tires and not the best tread on those tires, so snow and barely any tread I'd think something would give.

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think 92 or 93 is when LR introduced Traction Control, but i don't think it was limited to the Air Suspension models. I'm not sure exactly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.