Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was most impressed with the traction control of my Disco II today in the snow here in the mid-west. Question to fellow LRO members:
How does the TC really work ?
If a wheelspin is detected, does the system then engage that particular wheel's brakes ? Does the center diff transfer power from back to front (and vice-versa) ?

Just kinda curious...

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Each wheel has it's own speed sensor. When it detects slippage, it will use the brake to slow the faster wheel, assuming it's slippage. The diff in the axle will then transfer power to the other wheel. It can do this very rapidly.... this is the simplified version of how it works.

· Registered
40 Posts
How does the TC really work ?
I think the SLABS unit (Self leveling Anti-Locking Brakes) detects each wheel speed via the sensor located on the inboard side of the hub assembly. Comparing vehicle speed vs. wheel speed vs. same axle wheel speed though an algorithim; the SLABS unit then applies the ABS system to the appropiate wheel to transfer power to the other side. This causes the vehicle to "lurch" from side to side, aka "yawing."

Hopefully Mr. Frick will add something to this.

Choqiees said:
and someone at the stealer told me if you're stuck, just give it a minute for the sensor to work it out then go for it
Yep, depending on terrain condition; the DII ETC will motor through quite a lot. The key is steady throttle control, thus causing the vehicle to yaw back and forth as the ETC cycles. Reading the terrain is key in order to apply the right amount of power. For example in mud, you would maintain a higher rpm as opposed to rock or other high traction where you would maintain a lower rpm.

The ETC system is great, but you still do not have the control that a CDL applies. I did Moab with ETC only and struggled in some sections where open diff'd D1's made it through okay by using their CDL.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Tell you the truth guys .

I like the plain old viscis cupling in the diffs :) . Center and rear diff that is . Front is not needed for On-Road . So I would throw in those two in addition to the TC.

But I had different experiance today . Maybe cause it's FIRST time driving this thing in snow . But I could not make turns for **** in my DII . Espetialy from the trafic light making a left . The truck gose straigth when the wheels are turned and TC is on .

So I have to learn how to drive it .

So , is there any tips on how to drive it ?
Eaze in the troutle when making a turn , or take the foot of the gas , what gear ? Sport ( a.k.a. Land Rover Dealer in CT is a "Snow" LOL ) Mode ?

Thank you .

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Roaming_Pig said:
I guess I should add that it comes down to tire choice. Are you still running XPC's?

ME?
No . I got this truck used and it got some tire called General Graber.

To me they look like grabage tire . I'm used to Yokohama, Michelin, Dunlop tires on my cars .

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Start out in 2nd gear... centre diff unlocked. Easy on the throttle...

· Registered
1,741 Posts
I just hit one of our local trails and my etc worked flawlessly.
Like someone above said, just keep steady pressure on the throttle. I hit some pretty good mud holes and then went for a little rocky action.
When you first start to slide, etc will grab then if it's do-able you'll crawl right up. Again, depends on tires and how wet the ground is. Sometimes you need to choose a slightly different line or back up and get a little more momentum.
It was a nice day to run a little bit and the dog needed to get out.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
nice bumper... hehehe

· Registered
1,971 Posts
The ironic part is that we just became a TJM Distributor and I can now get the parts for that bumper... :rolleyes: Too little too late though...

· Registered
1,741 Posts
i actually called TJM about the mounts for the bumper just to see what they would cost. They didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any and didn't know the price until they did get some.
They were going to e-mail me a price when they got them in. I'm still waiting for my e-mail.
I am more then satisfied with my mounts. They are pretty solid.
I would just like to find some lights for the bumper now. I'm thinking the rubber Hella work lights like I have mounted to my rear bumper.
Should be plenty tough for that area.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
TsiArt said:
Tell you the truth guys .

I like the plain old viscis cupling in the diffs :) . Center and rear diff that is . Front is not needed for On-Road . So I would throw in those two in addition to the TC.

But I had different experiance today . Maybe cause it's FIRST time driving this thing in snow . But I could not make turns for **** in my DII . Espetialy from the trafic light making a left . The truck gose straigth when the wheels are turned and TC is on .

So I have to learn how to drive it .

So , is there any tips on how to drive it ?
Eaze in the troutle when making a turn , or take the foot of the gas , what gear ? Sport ( a.k.a. Land Rover Dealer in CT is a "Snow" LOL ) Mode ?

Thank you .
I had the same issue with mine when I was running OEM rubber. I tossed those Goodyear HP's, went with the Nitto's and it actually turns now! Amazing indeed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.