Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Nice Repo 2000 year model Disco 2 from a Bank with 135k miles . I reset its fuel pump relay switch and put in a good battery and it runs & drives excellent but it wont shift down and goes into Limp Mode after about 30 mph.
I ran its codes and its got code PO722. Thats the only code it has. So I clear the code and it comes back when it hits 25-30 mph

So I replaced speed sensor inside the transmission with a known good one and its still doing the same thing.

Fluid looked like new and nothing looked abnormal in trans pan or magnet either.

Ive checked all its wiring and it looks ok. I also swapped out its TCM and AFM, Battery & Alternator with a known good one as well from a wrecked parts rover I have sitting here too and it still goes into limp mode.

Is there anything else to check? If not I guess im gonna just pull out the wrecked trans and install it and see what happens.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Does the speedometer work? Had a issue with mine not long after I got it and the network was not recognizing the gauge cluster and I had no speedo and as I recall that same code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedo and tach works fine. everything works fine but shifts hard and until it shifts out into 3rd gear and then M& S lights start flashing and check engine light comes on and thats when its goes into limp mode. I have cleared the code several times and it does it again and again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A while back, my dad have bought mom a crown vic so that she could have a nice riding car. It did the same type of deal with a code saying limp mode. I know ford and land rover at two very different brands. It turned out that the problem wasn't in the wiring, but the car had killed the ECM. As for your rover, the engine ECM is on the passenger side wall behind the glove box. There is also a transmission computer under the drivers seat. Both take a small amount of work to get to, but it would be easier than looking for back parts or wires

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A while back, my dad have bought mom a crown vic so that she could have a nice riding car. It did the same type of deal with a code saying limp mode. I know ford and land rover at two very different brands. It turned out that the problem wasn't in the wiring, but the car had killed the ECM. As for your rover, the engine ECM is on the passenger side wall behind the glove box. There is also a transmission computer under the drivers seat. Both take a small amount of work to get to, but it would be easier than looking for back parts or wires

Thanks Russell I actually swapped out the Transmission
with a known good one and now its in Limp Mode too. Ive got code PO748 on this one. LOL

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
This may sound obvious but how good is the battery. Rovers in general are very sensitive to proper voltage. I would test the battery and charging system at the same time just tp be sure

·
A Doomsday will alter time...
3 Posts
For the shifting issues, when the selector lever fails, it is because the contacts in the switch are overlapping. Often, disconnecting the lever at the transmission, and reconnecting ensuring that the linkage correctly set, can correct the problem. If not, the switch assembly at the transmission will require removal, inspection, testing and repair/replacement. The problem shifting in between first and second with third/fourth running seemingly fine, is likely from the overlapping circuit signals confusing the computer. Fixing the switch is the route I usually take at my shop. It is not cheap otherwise.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC. 2004 Disco 2 *RIP*
86 Posts
Replace your X y z sensor.......Easy fix
This was going to be my suggestion as well, you can open them up and repair them at home and save yourself $300-600 on a new one. Theres a few videos on how to do the repair, it's not overly complicated....first step would be to make sure all of your battery/charging system connections are in good shape....its staggering how many issues can be caused by a bad ground in British vehicles lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.