Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Major grinding and clanking noise turned out to be the transfer case as confirmed by my local LR mechanic. He wants $900 in labor plus part to swap it out. He said it did have proper fluid levels in it. Truck has about 110k so I guess it was just its time. My questions are as follows:

1) Should I go used or rebuilt?
(It is beyond my capabilities so if the used one goes bad I will be out the labor even if the salvage yard warranties the part)

2) If used, where could I source one?

3) If rebuilt, I found the one from Roverland Parts for $1,300 after shipping. Is that the best source for rebuilt. Looks to me by the website they are doing a lot of inspecting but no new parts. Is that really a rebuild????? Discovery Transfer Cases

4) Is $900 reasonable for labor to swap that out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As luck would have it, the engine blew up this time last year and I threw $5k at it for a used one. Its just my Land Rovers way of saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Call one of the dudes from discomike's SIG. There's also Ashcroft can be purchases from lucky8. If you purchase a used nonrebuilt...do it from people recommended here and this option might be best for you. Time to look at the CDL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of quick questions.

1) I assume my 2003 does not have the CDL. If I purchase a 2004 transfer case,(possibly have found one of these) will that be compatible?

2) Can I choose not to buy the cable and shifter to use the CDL but instead just keep this as an option for the future.

3) Lastly, the auto yard is asking me, "does your have the lever"? Is that their way of referring to the CDL?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
356 Posts
1. the 2004 will be equipped with cdl
2. yes you can choose not to swap out your shifter/cable at this point in time, but i would recommend doing it now while you have everything apart. it's a pain in the ass to tear into the center console
3. yes he's probably referring to the leaver. yours only moves front to back and the one in the 2004 moves front to back and left to right

if you ever plan to hit the trails with your rig you will want the cdl working. it really does make a difference

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
110k is not high mileage at all for an LT230
$900 seems a little on the high side for labor, but I guess it depends on the labor rate.
I'd get a used one from a reputable used parts person from the forums. Paul Grant and Will Tillery off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
It was not its time to fail, you have been neglecting it services.
Yes an 04 set up will work great.
Call Paul Grant from my signature section , where you will get a good price on a used unit.
When you get it back together, read and do my major service list before something else fails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.