Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 99 Discovery 2 131,000 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 99 Disco II. When I was driving home last week in the cold weather (-22F) I heard a zinging-like sound as I accelerated. It increased in frequency until I couldn't really notice it. Didn't think much of it, just thought it was the cold tires on the road. I drove about another mile down the road and it turned in to a grinding type noise and the warning light and chime went off. When I let off of the gas the noise stops and the warning goes away. As soon as I step on the gas it comes back.

Does anyone know what the warning light for the transfer case is supposed to indicate (other than it is in neutral)? I looked in the service manual and the owners manual but can not find anything on it except that it tells you the transfer case is in neutral. I realize I am going to have to change the transfer case but was just wondering what the warning is supposed to indicate.

I was pretty disappointed, I haven't ever heard of anyone having transfer case issues before. At least it got me home.

· Registered
5 Posts
flashing light..transfer case?

I own a 2003 LR Dis. When I purchased the vehicle it did not come with an owner’s manual. I could not get my truck out of park. Took out the solenoid (which is fine but was not getting power to it for it to function). I have a yellow blinking and beeping light that looks like 2 gears with an X through it. I called LR they said it prob has to do with the transfer case.

My question is….how do I make it stop?!?!? The noise is driving me crazy. Also, where is the micro chip located? I think that is the reason I am not getting any power to my solenoid.

1,855 Posts
go have the computer of the trany checked and see whet codes you get.

· Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 99 Disco II. When I was driving home last week in the cold weather (-22F) I heard a zinging-like sound as I accelerated. It increased in frequency until I couldn't really notice it. Didn't think much of it, just thought it was the cold tires on the road. I drove about another mile down the road and it turned in to a grinding type noise and the warning light and chime went off. When I let off of the gas the noise stops and the warning goes away. As soon as I step on the gas it comes back.

Does anyone know what the warning light for the transfer case is supposed to indicate (other than it is in neutral)? I looked in the service manual and the owners manual but can not find anything on it except that it tells you the transfer case is in neutral. I realize I am going to have to change the transfer case but was just wondering what the warning is supposed to indicate.

I was pretty disappointed, I haven't ever heard of anyone having transfer case issues before. At least it got me home.
Generally when you press on the gas it will lock the gears onto place and sound normal, when you let off it throws everything out of wack. There are some here that can be more specific but it sounds like your transfer case or possible front or rear diffs. I believe there is a pin(s) that hold the gears in place, sounds like one might have failed you... Don't drive it anymore. You could cause even more damage to your whole drive train if everything locks up going 45+mph... I had a rear diff lock up on me going 45 and lost my rear DS (not my Rover). It wasn't a pretty site. And sounded like 20 shotguns being fired at once. Needless to say I heard the whine/grinding for at least 50 miles before all hell broke loose.

· Registered
5 Posts
stuck in park

I could not get my 2003 LR Dis. out of park. I took out the solenoid in order to drive it. When I checked the solenoid the solenoid is fine. I problem is there is no power being transferred to the solenoid.

The solenoid is not getting power!

Does anyone know what is preventing the flow of power to the solenoid????

· Registered
2,101 Posts
I just had a transfer case installed in a 99 Disco II. The light comes on to tell you that it is overheating; the manual says just to pull over and stop and let it cool down, then continue but have the fluid checked as soon as possible. My wife kept driving and burned it up. I bought a used transfer case from Will Tillery (recommended by this forum) for $400 and an indy installed it for $1000. No problem since.

Assume this your problem.

· Premium Member
475 Posts
I could not get my 2003 LR Dis. out of park. I took out the solenoid in order to drive it. When I checked the solenoid the solenoid is fine. I problem is there is no power being transferred to the solenoid.

The solenoid is not getting power!

Does anyone know what is preventing the flow of power to the solenoid????
As for your park solenoid, it goes like this ruffly power from key down to brake pedal over to your park solenoid, take the shroud off your steering column find the ignition wires that run to the brake light switch( this is the little plastic switch on your brake pedal with wires, on half go to the solenoid and the other half power brake lights) now follow the wires to B/pedal and then once at the pedal/switch chose the other set coming out, these go to the shifter/solenoid, grab a test light at your parts store and find a good ground to clip to. Turn the key on and start testing each one of these wires going to the solenoid, see which have power, what color they are and then check the other end at the solenoid plug should be same color see if you have a brake in the line... this is what I had to do found a tiny break in a wire from P.O.S audio installers.. Big screw through my wire, rover was stuck in the audio garage....

Hope it helps...:drive:

· Premium Member
475 Posts
What does the transfer case light look like?
Your transfer case light shows up in the upper right corner of of your gage cluster right under where your brake light would be if you use ur parking brake.. It looks like two gears side by side one big one small with an X going across them lite up in amber...

Hope it helps:drive:

· 99 Discovery 2 131,000 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What Happened to My Case

It has been a while since I posted this, sorry for not following up sooner on this. Thanks to everyone who replied.

What happened was that the front output shaft bearing failed. All of the fluid came out and the area where the bearing sits in the case was destroyed. I was not able to turn the case in for core charge. I ended up getting a local transmission shop to change it. The total bill was around $1500 including tow.

No idea why the bearing failed, the case had fluid in it. I had never had any issues with the case up to that point.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I am here in hopes of getting some help figuring out my, 2003 Disco 2. It will start fine but will not move. Things I did to verify,

1. transmission fluid levels are good.

2. front and rear drive shafts are good and not moving when put into drive, reverse, or any speed.

3. no codes sent. I did check with my hand-held computer.

4. linkage is connected and seems to be working.

Anyone on here have anything similar happen to their Disco 2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts