Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Yoda-Rover
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I started hearing a whine coming from the transmission and/or transfer case. It only did it at first when the engine was cold and I accelerated. I checked my transmission fluid one morning while engine was cold, and the fluid level was dead on the 2nd hole on the dipstick. I stopped driving it Thursday night when I stopped for ice and came outside and saw transmission fluid (I could smell it) pouring like a waterfall on the ground. I limped it home (about 1/4 mile away) let her sit overnight to cool down. Crawled under the next morning and removed T-case drain plug and almost nothing came out. That sent up a red flag for me. Removed the inspection plate and I noticed a few places where fluid had blown out the gasket. When I took the plate off and inspected the inside of the transfer case, a sh*tload of metal chunks fell out, which I determined to be the remnants of the main drive gear's front bearing. I used a magnet, two cans of carb cleaner and made sure I got all metal out. I inspected the gears inside and all seemed to be intact and looked good. The rear bearing looked good as well. I've ordered the bearing and will put it in when it gets here.

The second problem, since I could see and smell the transmission fluid pouring out, is coming from somewhere on the top of the transmission. I haven't been able to see where it is coming from but it is transmission fluid and pours out when put in R and back into P. It will pour out until empty or I turn the ignition off. My first thought was the cooler lines, but I'm not 100%. Anyone got any insight on what the problem possibly is? I have the Rave, but it doesn't say anything about a leak of this kind. Stumped....

·
Yoda-Rover
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
***update***

Well I did a little more in depth search and had some help from a few other people to start it and watch from above as I checked from below. It turns out that the leak (pour) was coming from the inspection plate seal. I cleaned and resealed this Friday and added new gear oil, but I obviously did something wrong because it blew out again. But the odd part was when I pulled the plate off again, the Permatex high temp was still gooey like it had just been put on. I drained what was fresh and new oil that went in yellow, but only two days later, it was black. I found that alarming, hopefully that is normal. Pulled plate off again and cleaning it again and I'll do the same with the gearbox too. Noticed gunk and metal sludge on drain plug, but nothing to indicate anything shredding. I'm determined to figure this out and at least find the problem so I can know. Not knowing is the real pisser. If I can fix it, I will. But if I can't, I still want to know what's happening here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts