Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

When starting my 2006 LR3 I get the following warning lights (steady):
- ABS Amber light
- DSC/Traction Control warning Amber light
- Brake Amber light

Then I receive an HDC fault written in the cluster and then a Suspension lowered message. The Suspension Amber light then lights up (steady) and I dont have any more control on special programs or suspension (which is stuck lowered).

Here is a bit of history and hints in chronological order:

1. Early 2013: I started to have intermittent "Brake wear" buzz warning and amber cluster light flashing when the FRONT LEFT wheel was going over a bump. I did not investigate and eventually the brake amber light and warning of brake pad wear came steady bump or not.
2. Mid 2013: I had Transmission & HDC fault warning amber light and the aligment of the shift lever between manual/sport speeds and Drive were misaligned (normally you go in sport mode by simply moving to the left the shifter, in my case I had to force it down left to get it): I diagnosted this to be the transmission level (under car) which I cleaned up. This fixed the shifter aligment and also the warning lights/warning (so all was good after that apart the brake warning light, see 1)
3. Last week I started to get the issue I described at top of my post (ABS and transmission amber light going up and receiving HDC error and suspension droping). This issue is now steady (no longer intermitent), so I cant really drive much the car since suspension is lowered...
4. This week I changed all the brakes/disk and both pad wear sensors, the front wear sensor was broken. Now, I still have the errors of point 3, BUT: Amber brake light is still lighten up even if both sensor are new! And when I drive the car I now get again regular anoying "Brake Wear" buzz as in point 1.
5. When driving I also hear a strange but bearly noticeable TR-r-r-r-r (vibrating) sound for 2 seconds followed by a bearly noticeable electric buzz comming from somewere around the cluster or front left wheel sometimes when I brake (intermittent)... (Once again something strange around front left corner as in point 1). Its like an eletrical ECU processing, arching eletric components, or might be light ABS vibration... Apart this bearly noticeable sound nothing mecanical noticeable on the car or the brake pedal...

So after reading all the posts around this topic I replaced the brake switch. Same issues. It is worth mentioning that I do have the top left tailgate brake light burned, so while waiting to get new bulbs from dealer I just (today) removed the bulb to avoid any potential shorts which could lead to this ABS/brake/etc warnings...

I also noticed that the 4x4 navigation screen does not seems to display the actual suspension level, it displays standard level even if suspension is lowered... I was jacking rear and this was not displayed in navigation screen neither...

I have the following tought:
- Something electrical seems wrong on the front left corner (around wheel or cluster)
- The connector/ground providing signal of Brake Pad Wear, ABS, transmission, suspension might be loose or coroded?
- I dont think the point 2 issue is related (which I fixed as described last year)

My questions:
- Why do I have point 4 (intermittent brake wear cluster buzz warning) even if I replaced both sensors?? In which ECU the sensors harness are plugged in? Any connectors, ground I can check?
- Is there a common connector or ground used for Break wear sensor/ABS/Transmission/suspension which I could check?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

·
1,854 Posts
bad battery

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SafariDrive,
I will test the Battery tomorrow and will let you know. Even if it is a no longer intermittent issue (its now steady issue) you believe it could potentially be the battery?

I also did a bit of search regarding the Brake Pad Wear sensor circuit:
- It grounds on the C2922 which is also used for the fuel pump for which I dont have any problem, so probably not that.
- It connects to the Cluster through a big connector C0230 which is also used for the CAN HIGH/MED, Thief warning indicator, Part-Brake Lamp, Fuel pump, Sensor engine coolant level, low washer fluid, Brake fluid level, Temperature control unit... I dont have any problems with those other components... Maybe the CAN which would could explain ABS/Transmission/suspension issues? I will look at this cluster connector tomorrow... Who knows...

Any other ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4x New Brake light bulbs: Problems still there
Battery OK: 12.8V disconnected and 14.5v when on idle chargin.
Cluster C0230 connector: I wasnt able to remove the cluster...
Fuse: All seems good.

Anything else I should check?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Put the battery on a proper charger overnight, see how it is before you remove the charger in the morning.

How old is the battery? I'm averaging 2 years on queue. Sometimes the battery seems ok, but it's not, typically showing up at first start.

Some battery houses can do a proper battery evaluation, but you may have to leave the battery overnight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
- I charged overnight the battery. It hold its charge. Same issues on the car. Just to double check I will test the battery at Canadian Tire tomorrow
- I tested and confirmed the continuity of the Break Pad Wear circuit. Which means that the Brake Pad Wear warning light is on for another reason than this circuit, extract from the LR3 Student Book:
If a failure of the EBA or EBD functions occur, the
ABS module transmits a CAN signal which is received
by the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster
software illuminates the brake warning indicator in
amber for minor EBA/EBD faults...
And also:
The brake warning indicator is a dual colored indicator, located in the coolant temperature gage, that illuminates amber
for EBA faults and red for EBD faults.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I please need your help, its now 2 weeks since the car is immobilized (I dont want to drive it like this).

-The MASS air sensor is perfectly clean.
-All grounds of ABS and cluster are perfect
-Circuit between cluster, ABS and Transmission box control module are good.
-I tested most of the pins of the ABS module except HDC relays, Yaw sensors, ABS sensors, circuit to park brake... Could any of those components lead to my issue?

Just a reminder: Even after hard reset as soon as I turn key to position (2) the ABS, DSC and Brake amber lights flash once and stay on...

Should I, and how do I, test the Wheels ABS sensors and YAW sensors? Anything else I should tests??
Would a trip to the dealer help if I ask for T4 diagnostic? Can I read ABS faults with typical code readers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a bit more investigation:
- The "Brake pad Wear" Buzz and cluster written warning was due to a loose sensor. This was the front left wheel so explains why I had the buzz mainly when this wheel was going over a bump. This is now fixed properly, so no more buzz, but the amber BRAKE light is still steady on. So looks like Traction control/EBD/EBA/ABS fault.

I have now removed the fuse 26 so the suspension stays in normal height so I can drive.

I dont think it is related to the Wheel ABS speed sensor since the errors occures even if the car standing still (as soon as I turn the key) but those sensors can only get signal when the wheel are spinning so surely not the sensors.

For me now everything seems to be pointing to the direction of the ABS the issues are still:
1) ABS, DSC/Traction Control and Brake amber light
2) When I brake for a stop I hear an eletronic signal in the engin bay around the ABS module and then the ABS kicks-in but this is bearly noticible... This even if there are absolutly no reason for the ABS to kick-in....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be reaching for the fault code reader....
Looks like I am currently at the last resort.... OK.... I just purchased the iCarSoft LandRover I930 scanner which looks nice (I read good review from LR owner) and cheap, but will take a couple of days to receive. In the mean time any other recommendation of tests I could run? I do have some time for this and this is a priority for me. Thanks

·
2005 Range Rover
7 Posts
Check for water or moisture under passenger side wiring harness that runs beside the seat under the trim.if there is you have likely lost connection on a three wire connection that dissent grates when exposed to water even if it was a while ago. These connectors are wrapped in blue tape and if you can easily pull these from the tape and there's green powder you've found the problem. These wires I believe are red but check them all then solder and shrink wrap .hope this brings these modules back on line!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad abs sensor

I had similar problem after changing my rotors on the front. I remember hitting the abs speed sensor that attaches to the knuckle and it was almost broken. I began to get the exact messages you do. The abs sensor is connected to all that crap somehow and after changing it everything worked out. The hum was prolly your wheel bearings that went bad which can damage the sensor as well( different reason than my traumatic cause.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Change brake switch?

Did you change your brake switch? I got some of the same faults that you mentioned and changed my brake switch and all the faults were gone. 10 minute job, tops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HDC Foult Trans Fault Suspension Fault Brake Light

I have the combo in the dash with amber brake and suspension lights and hDC and trans fault messages. However, we haven't been able to find the problem source.

So far we have replace all rear light bulbs, steering angle sensor, brake pedal switch, abs sensors and connectors, abs module. Also, follow and checked wiring for the brake pedal switch.

Any ideas or suggestions?:dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
At last. After 7 weeks of hell. A split cable under rear passenger door rail. Apparently the factory punch cables instead of soldering them when they extend the cables. Thhis cable was completly separated from one another.

So, next time open your truck and start following the cables to find the root to your problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts