Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm looking to purchase a 2003 Land Rover Discovery Series II. Today I test drove my first one and on the test drive I noticed a clank coming from beneath the car or the rear of the car when you totally lifted you foot off the gas pedal between the speeds of 30-70mph and then got back on the gas. (like in traffic). It does not do it off the line or if I put the transmission in 1. I know its a truck and I'm used to driving a 2000 3 series BMW. This Disco has over 50,000 miles on it and is out of warranty so I just want to make sure it does not have a problem before purchasing it. Thanks for your help!!!!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Totally normal. It isn't the transmission emitting that sound either, it is the transfercase. These vehicles have a gear driven transfercase, not a chain driven like many other 4x4's out there. This causes the gear clunk that you are talking about. Make sure that you have them inspect the front driveshaft to make sure there isn't any play. Also give a look over for any significant fluid leaks and make sure all electronics are functional. Oh, and make sure all service is up to date.

Reactions: jobrienco

· Registered
490 Posts
How about this--just bought a 2000 Disco II (w/16's) and it has 90k on it. It runs / drives perfect, excellent service; when on the interstate lets say you get going 65-85 mph. When you are on the gas, all is well. Let off the gas, and there is a pretty good vibration seemingly coming from the drivetrain. It goes right away when you get back on the gas, and does not exhibit this characteristic at lower speeds. It almost feels like you are driving on grooved pavement when you let off the gas at speed. Normal? I am used to Range Rover w/B-W t-case, no vibration. Additionally, how about starting the car up, puting transmission in "Drive," and then it doesn't go into gear? Engine revs like in neutral, car rolls backwards. Sometimes if you rev it, it will abruptly go into gear. It has also done this in reverse. This doesn't happen most of the time, and when it does go into gear, transmission performs beautifully, no slipping or rough shifts whatsoever.

Thanks

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Yes, the tranny or t/case is common but even more so is the fron't drive line, the double cardon joints that fail and can damage the tranny or t/case. Have this drive line inspected ASAP cause if it fails, the repair will be very expensive.
Mike J.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
troverman said:
How about this--just bought a 2000 Disco II (w/16's) and it has 90k on it. It runs / drives perfect, excellent service; when on the interstate lets say you get going 65-85 mph. When you are on the gas, all is well. Let off the gas, and there is a pretty good vibration seemingly coming from the drivetrain. It goes right away when you get back on the gas, and does not exhibit this characteristic at lower speeds. It almost feels like you are driving on grooved pavement when you let off the gas at speed. Normal? I am used to Range Rover w/B-W t-case, no vibration. Additionally, how about starting the car up, puting transmission in "Drive," and then it doesn't go into gear? Engine revs like in neutral, car rolls backwards. Sometimes if you rev it, it will abruptly go into gear. It has also done this in reverse. This doesn't happen most of the time, and when it does go into gear, transmission performs beautifully, no slipping or rough shifts whatsoever.

Thanks
I get a slight vibration on mine as well, and it has done that since about 25K miles. I was told several times that it is within spec, and totally normal. I get more noise than a vibration, but it definatley isn't smooth. You may want to get under the truck and see if you have any play in the front shaft. If you do, run, do not walk to the nearest dealer to get a new one.

The other issue sounds linkage related and perhaps warrants a trip to a repair facility to adjust accordingly. Neutral drops aren't the best for the drivetrain on these vehicles!

· Registered
218 Posts
troverman said:

Thanks

fyi,

i've got a 2001 disco. and had the similar thing. then i heard a little high pitched noise. long story short. the U-joint on driveshaft broke. and the drive shaft slammed around and cracked the transmittion case.
I had the car on a warantee, but they didn't cover the tranny case. I had to fight with the dealer and they finally bought me a tranny.

long story even shorter.

have them check the U-joint that connects to transfer case

· Registered
590 Posts
I just posted about this almost happening to me in my "Dios Mio" take heed post a week ago.

You need to pay attention to your Land Rover.
I was luckily driving 20mph looking for open house signs in a area we admire when I noticed the sweet chiping bird sound.
My Indy Mech shop buddy always warned me of that sound.
I had my front drive shaft replaced the next week.
He showed me the three other Disco II's in there for that very same reason and the one very unlucky out of warranty Disco that had a ten grand running bill because when his frnt drive shaft blew he was pushing 70mph down the Death Valley highway and it took out his tranny (the housing was rendered useless and had no core exchange value anymore) fuel lines and a host of other important parts in that region.

That=CACA.

Merry Christmas

· Registered
2 Posts
New Tranny via Cracked Drive Shaft

Hi Everyone

I have been on several other forums and just joined this one. After battles with sticky valves using seafoam, changing plugs/wires, new kyb shocks, serviced my ACE pumps and putting some nice michelins on my 99 disco II , my wife is driving my two kids to school and "poof" there goes the front drive shaft into the tranny at 68K. So out of warrantly....

So LR gives me a price of $5400 as I bought the car for $7700, so now I am working with a local mechanic on getting a replacement tranny with 11K on it (90 day warranty) and looking at a Tom Woods Custom Drive shaft. My mechanics price (who works on LR toos) will bring it home for probably $2000-2500.

I am wondering if anyone has gone thru this and actually had the tranny working properly after this retrofit?

The worse part is the car was running PERFECTLY finally up until this point.

So I would appreciate any input here....Although maybe the less I know....

Thanks
Charlie L

02disco2 said:
I get a slight vibration on mine as well, and it has done that since about 25K miles. I was told several times that it is within spec, and totally normal. I get more noise than a vibration, but it definatley isn't smooth. You may want to get under the truck and see if you have any play in the front shaft. If you do, run, do not walk to the nearest dealer to get a new one.

The other issue sounds linkage related and perhaps warrants a trip to a repair facility to adjust accordingly. Neutral drops aren't the best for the drivetrain on these vehicles!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Ouch man!!

I spoke to my insurance man about this topic, he said that if a mechanical failure causes an accident, then the insurance company will front the entire bill and it will be listed as a no-fault, hense not raising your rates. I am a little skeptical of his advise, but if this happens to me, I am going to aim at a tree.

· Registered
40 Posts
When you heard the noise, was the truck driving straight or did it occur when you were making a turn? Curious because after I get off the highway after driving awhile say 85-100 miles, my engine (or something) sounds like it is unwinding. Like a high pitched hum. After the truck is parked and turned off the sound goes away when you start it up again. What could this be?

· Registered
908 Posts
02disco2 said:
Ouch man!!

I spoke to my insurance man about this topic, he said that if a mechanical failure causes an accident, then the insurance company will front the entire bill and it will be listed as a no-fault, hense not raising your rates. I am a little skeptical of his advise, but if this happens to me, I am going to aim at a tree.

LOL!

· Registered
33 Posts
the klunk can be normal backlash or the transmission output shaft and t-box input gear can have worn splines,to inspect them remove the pto cover,remove the gear,remove the retainer bolt from the output shaft and pull the shaft out,the shaft splines should be straight with no groves or wear.the input gear should have vent holes drilled through the center of the housing to lube the shaft, fit them together , they should be tight.
an easy and overlooked repair.
note; it may not be your only issue as preload in the t-box will also result in a klunk
REMEMBER< ITS NEVER OVER WITH A ROVER

· Registered
2 Posts
Replacing a Tranny / Drive Shaft - Insurance

Hi Mike and Co

I will check with my insurance guy and appreciate the advice.....I am sure its a long shot but what the hell.

All parts are now ordered so let the bills start rollin.

For all out there, I would honestly think of retrofitting the drive shaft with the Tom Woods custom drive shaft since I thinks its a nice piece of "cheap insurance".

Once again if anyone out there has replaced a tranny let me know if you have had success in doing with with a used replacement tranny. The one I bought was certified, cleaned bla bla bla but we all know how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.....

· Registered
57 Posts
i was lucky to find a replacement trans with just over 800 miles on it. Total bill with labor was $3K. New unit works great. (I blew the original one when I towed the Disco and assumed the dash light was telling the truth when it said the transfer case was in neutral. It was actually in low range. Blew the sprag clutches.)

· Registered
8 Posts
Clunk from R to N and/or from N to D

from a standstill stop, i hear a clunk sound from the tranny/t-case area. i also jear a whirring/chirping sound on low speed (20-30 mph). there is also some drivetrain vibration betw speeds of 30-50 mph.

i just want to confirm, judging from all the previous postings, that it looks like my t-case is shot, maybe even the front drive shaft and/or u joints?

if this is correct, has anyone had any luck buying a used transfer case or should i just buy a new one.

1999 1/2 disco IIs w/ 95K probably only go for $5K trade in at dealers these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.