Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently when i am start my disco 03 in the morning i have to wait a few seconds when i am putting the truck from park into drive or reverse for the gears to transfer. when they finally do, there is a loud clunk that you actually feel. But once i get going the tansmission is very smooth.
Why is it doing this? am i dealing with something that could become a big problem?
Thanks for any advice.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level? Does it seem to "slip" when you first put it in gear?
My guesses:
1) fluid level
2) may need transmission service
3) Torque converter may have issues.

or

The loud cluck could be a u-joint!!! these are just a few thoughts I had! :dunno:

· Richard
87 Posts
I have had a similar situation. I have to wait just a few seconds every morning before putting mine in reverse to back out of the garage. If I don't its almost like the tranny is slipping, but I don't have a loud clunk. Just had new tranny filter and fluid and independent LR tech said everything looked OK. Didn't think about torque converter.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats for the advice. beachrover, does your transmission ever get stuck in park first thing in the morning? this only happens to me very infrequently, but when i am starting the truck in the morning or after it has been sitting for a long time, the trans. will get stuck in park. i have to wait a bit and then it will finally allow me to put it into gear. sometimes you can hear a very faint "click" just before it will allow you to put it into drive.

· Registered
106 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
thats for the advice. beachrover, does your transmission ever get stuck in park first thing in the morning? this only happens to me very infrequently, but when i am starting the truck in the morning or after it has been sitting for a long time, the trans. will get stuck in park. i have to wait a bit and then it will finally allow me to put it into gear. sometimes you can hear a very faint "click" just before it will allow you to put it into drive.
maybe your linkage needs to be adjusted for the not shifting out of park thing. As for the clunk, did you check your trans mounts and u-joints?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
So how many miles on your truck? How often is the tranny serviced and what is your current fluid level??
Mike J.

· Registered
84 Posts
DiscoSE03, The faint click may also be the interlocking relay for the gear selection. If you press the brake pedal you should hear the relay click. This enables the interlock, which allows you to move the gear selector to R-N-D etc. You may have an issue with the brake pedal micro switch.

· Richard
87 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
No, never gets stuck in any gear. I just have to wait a few seconds each monring.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
imag said:
DiscoSE03, The faint click may also be the interlocking relay for the gear selection. If you press the brake pedal you should hear the relay click. This enables the interlock, which allows you to move the gear selector to R-N-D etc. You may have an issue with the brake pedal micro switch.
I concur.

I had the same issue with mine, ended up having to have it replaced (under warranty). But it wasn't the microswitch, it was the mechanism itself. Now as soon as I hit the brake pedal, it can be selected into gear without any hesitation, regardless of temperature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.