Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 LR3 SE and the other day it turned on fine but when I placed it in reverse it wouldn't move and a "transmission fault limited gears available" appeared on the display as well as an "F". I read all around different forums about checking the battery and stuff like that but I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground below the driver side. It doesn't smell or look like engine oil. It's a light brown color fluid. I checked the engine oil, power steering and brake fluid levels and they're all good. The only one that is a little low but still above the min level is the brake fluid. I checked around the brake booster and brake reservoir for leaks and it was clean, no signs of leakage. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am not sure about the oil. Sometimes this problem has been traced to the EPB Electronic Park Brake being seized or set, or out of calibration. There is a service procedure requiring diagnostic equipment to recalibrate it.

Other things to check could be, transmission temperature sensor, battery, brake light bulbs (not likely), brake light switch (not likely). You need to have the fault codes read on it to start.

There is a procedure for emergency EPB release, which is worth a try to make it go temporarily;
Turn off engine.

Select P if auto, apply foot brake.
Push and hold EPB switch/lever down.
Turn ignition on, wait for system check to cycle.
Start engine.
Release EPB switch/lever.
The EPB should have now released

As far as the oil, that is quite interesting. I will do some more research on that one. I have the transmissions and torque converters available if it turns serious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure about the oil. Sometimes this problem has been traced to the EPB Electronic Park Brake being seized or set, or out of calibration. There is a service procedure requiring diagnostic equipment to recalibrate it.

As far as the oil, that is quite interesting. I will do some more research on that one. I have the transmissions and torque converters available if it turns serious.
Thanks for looking into this issue. Can it be the differential oil? I'm going to wipe everything completely clean and try to pin point where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It is quite possible a front differential seal is gone, or transfer case seal, but I think that wiping it down, and carefully looking will reveal the source. It may not be directly related to your current symptom, it is hard to say at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is quite possible a front differential seal is gone, or transfer case seal, but I think that wiping it down, and carefully looking will reveal the source. It may not be directly related to your current symptom, it is hard to say at this point.
I will do just that...I was reading your procedure for the emergency EPB release. I should clarify, the LR3 isn't moving because the transmission gears aren't engaging. At this point I don't see any brake warning lights on. Here's what's happening I turn it on, shift to Reverse, release brake and press the gas...LR barely moves and that's with me steeping on the gas. I only done this twice because I don't want to damage anything. The only warning lights I get are the check engine and the display reads transmission fault. I was able to put it in neutral and push it so I don't think the EPB is stuck. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do you think it is going into gear. There is a known issue with the shift lever on the transmission freezing up. There is a kit you an purchase to replace the rusted lever, and a new spring. It might be worth looking at.

LR012704 - Lever
WYH000040 - Nut - flanged
VYH500020 - Nut - Hex
TYG000050 - Bolt
TZT500040 - Bush
TYF000050 - Washer - spring

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the LR towed to the dealership yesterday, I will let you know what they tell me...Before they took it, I decided to take one last look under the LR and noticed that shield that covers the transmission pan was holding a lot of oil. I stuck my hand between the transmission pan and shield and felt the oil just collecting there. Now my guess is that somehow the transmission pan is cracked or leaking??? I don't know what else is in this area. I never seen transmission fluid as a brownish color but again I'm no expert. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 LR3 SE and the other day it turned on fine but when I placed it in reverse it wouldn't move and a "transmission fault limited gears available" appeared on the display as well as an "F". I read all around different forums about checking the battery and stuff like that but I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground below the driver side. It doesn't smell or look like engine oil. It's a light brown color fluid. I checked the engine oil, power steering and brake fluid levels and they're all good. The only one that is a little low but still above the min level is the brake fluid. I checked around the brake booster and brake reservoir for leaks and it was clean, no signs of leakage. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
i had the same error message, i've just got it back from guy salmon in wakefield and it turned out to be the alternator..!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this last week the dealership said it needed reflashed. AKA we couldnt find anything and we will see you in a couple weeks. I had the lower control arm bushings replaced while it was there. The truck in under extended warranty and cost me a 100 bucks no matter what they do so i figured id have it done if they would. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well, there are a couple of things that can go wrong with the transfer case which could cause the leak. Let's hope it's that... Keep us posted.. Alternator. My gosh the guys designing the electrical systems on these things must be laughing their butts off.

·
D3 '06 HSE Seven 2.7 TDV6
1 Posts
Hello everone,

This is my first contribution to that forum and I have found a link to that particular section because I encounter the same symptoms with my D3.

"Transmission fault limited gears available" + "F" letter on the dash board. I was unable to go over 2 000 rds/m. But I haven't noticed any other fault indicators or lights on the dash board.

This is the second time I have this message. Each time I parked, stopped the engine and started again. This makes the message desappear.

A bit of historical about my D3. It has 128 000 km / approx 80 000 Miles. Last summer at 120 000 km, the automatic gear box has been serviced as weel as the engine + diffencials + transfert box (not sur about engish translation :eek:). Battery has been replaced 9 months ago.

I went throught french forum and some associate this message with faulty EGR.

I took an appointment with my local LR dealer, but in the meantime I would appreciate any comment on this.

Merci d'avance ! :drink1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the LR towed to the dealership yesterday, I will let you know what they tell me...Before they took it, I decided to take one last look under the LR and noticed that shield that covers the transmission pan was holding a lot of oil. I stuck my hand between the transmission pan and shield and felt the oil just collecting there. Now my guess is that somehow the transmission pan is cracked or leaking??? I don't know what else is in this area. I never seen transmission fluid as a brownish color but again I'm no expert. Thanks
What did your dealership say Lowski?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello do you have an update on this topic? I have the same "transmission fault, limited gears available" appeared on the display as well as an "F". However, the vehicle is drivable and it appears to be in "ok" shape. What did the dealer say? Any advise is appreciated. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"transmission fault, limited gears available"

I have the same "transmission fault, limited gears available" appeared on the display as well as an "F". However, My vehicle is locked in Park an is not drivable. I tried the procedure for emergency EPB release and nothing happened. The lady left the roof open and it got rained on a bit.. could that be the reason....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe that's pretty common to get the error that you are getting after leaving the sunroof open during a good rain. The solution is to remove the center console area around the shifter and IIRC, there are two connector pairs down there that need to be separated, dried out very well, then reassembled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same fault message in addition to a couple other lights suddenly appear on the dashboard for a couple of weeks. After reading through the forums, I was convinced it was the battery and took it in to Firestone and had them check the battery. The battery was fully charged. I cleaned the corrosion and the lights went away for a couple of days. I recall seeing a break light out when the valet parked the car a few days earlier and also noticed that a busted tail light was also listed among the list of possible problems for the fault.

I repaired the broken light and have not had the fault since. A very simple solution to a vexing problem. It would help if Land Rover siply display a check your brake lights indicator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts