Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to know your thoughts on changing the transmission fluid in a DII. I have been told in a most emphatic manner by Landrover Dealers in South Florida that they do not recommend changing the fluid at all, especially if you have missed any of the scheduled fluid changes. Mine was changed at 30k or so but hasn't had any further changes and I'm now at 116k miles. Whereas the transmission is working perfectly I just cannot bring myself to accept that Landrover made a transmission that really does not require servicing. The stated reason for not recommending fluid changes is that whatever builds up in the transmission, when flushed, actually causes problems even with new fluid. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am further told by my independent LR mechanic that changing the fluid is pretty involved. He doesn't have a lift right now and so would rather not perform the task, something about the extraction of the old fluid being way difficult. What should I do at 116k, should I change the fluid at all cost or should I continue with the sludge. Please feel free to give me all the tips you have regarding this transmission. Oh, mine is an 04 DII. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The ZF 24 tranny is a good strong tranny and has to be serviced every 30,000 miles, not doing this will kill it. My concern is if you have not service it in a long while that you need to do a filter and fluid change but do not do a tranny flush. If after the first fluid if the fluid is still dirty, do another fluid change after a week or so of driving.If you have any question
get back to me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike! I'll be getting that Fluid and filter changed shortly. Hopefully I haven't gone past the point of no return.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Are you going to be doing it or paying the big bucks for a shop to do it? If a shop, do not let them flush the tranny, if anything, if the fluid is really burned, do 2 fluid changes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your skepticism of that advice is well founded. No fluid lasts forever and the cynic in me would venture to say that dealer would rather you come to them for a replacement tranny in the near future as opposed to a service now. I just did mine and it wasn't that bad. I used ramps to elevate the truck and bought a drill operated pump to get the fluid back in. Hardest part was locating the correct torx bit for the filter screws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You had to ask :D

IIRC it was a T30 but outside chance a T40.

To be clear, the problem wasn't finding one per se, it was finding where I had put it last. I suggest a multi-bit set, good thing to have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did mine and havent had any problems since with my Tran. Also its not really hard to do either i did mine laying under my disco and changed filter simple if you watch what your doing.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Did you fill the tranny twice, first with the engine off, second with the engine idling and in park?

·
Registered
454 Posts
What about using synthetic fluid?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You do not want to switch to a synthetic fluid with that many miles on it, it has been fatel to some in the past, besides it can only be done with a back flush machine, expensive and this can also cause problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
stanislandy, I also need to do the same on my Disco 03. I am located in Miami, Fl as well. Please, let me know where would you go to do this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A suggestion, you need to start doing your own work, will save you a bunch of money and give you a chance to learn what makes your truck tick.
What is the current mileage on your truck, when was the last major service performed.
Might want to look at the top of this section at the major service list so you get an idea of what you most likely need to have done. Most of this is easy work and can cost you a $1000 or more if a shop does it based on the idea that you probably haven't rebuilt or replace the front drive shaft yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts