Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change out the tranny fluid using the "Rodney Flush" method I have always used on my Landcruisers. Removing fluid from the Transmission cooler return line while adding new fluid to the tranny.

Which line is the return back to the transmission?

Thanks!

Thor

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I want to change out the tranny fluid using the "Rodney Flush" method I have always used on my Landcruisers. Removing fluid from the Transmission cooler return line while adding new fluid to the tranny.

Which line is the return back to the transmission?

Thanks!

Thor
I am not sure why you would do that. It is simplier just to drop the oil, put the car in neutral and start it up and run it for 10 to 15 seconds. This will pump most of what is left out.

But it you really want to start disconnecting things, it is the same as the radiator. That is, the hot stuff goes in the top and the cooler stuff comes out the bottom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no risk of running the pump dry? Will that drain the converter and the coolers?

Just trying to get as much of the old fluid out while not risking any damage. But I'm very much open to trying easier, proven, other methods also! ( definitely like the easier!)

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
There is no risk of running the pump dry? Will that drain the converter and the coolers?

Just trying to get as much of the old fluid out while not risking any damage. But I'm very much open to trying easier, proven, other methods also! ( definitely like the easier!)
Running it for 15 seconds or so will not cause any issues.
Doing your flush method either starts with a drained sump, which has the same impact. Or you are continually mixing new fluid with old which will leave it with more old oil in it or waste a hell of a lot of new fluid mixing with the old until all the old is out.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Take the suction hose and add an extension piece to it. Place the suction hose in a very clean 5 gallon bucket full of tranny fluid elevated to sit somewhere under the hood on the front clip. Place the discharge line in a five gallon bucket on the ground. Start the car until the suction bucket is almost empty then shut it off. The method you speak of is how they do it at the lube place, using the tranny pump to exchange the fluid...unless its a BG flush. Dont try to fill it through the stick or it just mixes in the pan as mentioned above. I've done it alotin the past but I haven't done the rover this way yet because when I got it, it had a cooler leak, and the cooler lines on mine pissed me off....were hard to remove reinstall. I just did pan changes.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Take the suction hose and add an extension piece to it. Place the suction hose in a very clean 5 gallon bucket full of tranny fluid elevated to sit somewhere under the hood on the front clip. Place the discharge line in a five gallon bucket on the ground. Start the car until the suction bucket is almost empty then shut it off. The method you speak of is how they do it at the lube place, using the tranny pump to exchange the fluid...unless its a BG flush. Dont try to fill it through the stick or it just mixes in the pan as mentioned above. I've done it alotin the past but I haven't done the rover this way yet because when I got it, it had a cooler leak, and the cooler lines on mine pissed me off....were hard to remove reinstall. I just did pan changes.
The fluid in the cooler is pumped into and through it and not sucked out of it. So disconnecting the line will get the fluid out, but not in.
After going through the cooler the fluid goes back to the sump. So if you did put in new fluid through the cooler line it would just get mixed with the old dirty fluid in the sump before being pumped back through the transmission. That is probably why you need 5 gallons of new tranny fluid when the transmission only holds 2 gallons.
Then you have the issue of how do you change the tranny filter when using this method.

So my advice is to stick to the method specified by the manufacture. But if you want to get a bit more of the old fluid out before refilling it, stick the thing in neutral and start up the car for a few seconds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to give Ian's method a go. Remove drain plug- drain sump- put tranny in neutral- start engine and run for 10-15 secs. Then drop sump- change filter- install sump- install drain plug- fill.

Since this is the first time i have done this vehicle and not knowing the previous history, I might just shorten up this fluid change interval and go ahead and do the change again in ~ 10K miles or so.

This go around I am replacing all the cooler lines and the radiator is going to the shop to have a leak repaired, so I should be able to get most of the old fluid out.

Just wanted to get as much old fluid out of the torque converter as I could.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.