Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disco II with 164K, just putted on a AB brand new short block then, week after removed tranny oil pan to get rid of ATF seepage and replaced the filter, gasket and put a new atf which I replaced @ 60k per o/m schedule with no issues, now 2 days after replaced atf , NOW D2 is hard shifting when going to stop. you can feel when 2nd and 1st gear engages.
Following recommendations put lucas in it, 4 days driving the truck but :( still hard down shifting seems to softer when down shift manually, and and seems to better after lucas but STILL not normal like it used to be.. BTW the atf from the tranny was nice and clean, normal atf odor and color consistent with the mileage.

does hard shifting will go away immediately after lucas????... do I need to drive it to get rid of any air in the system or whatever...

opinions and thoughts are welcome!!

thanks!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Disco II with 164K, just putted on a AB brand new short block then, week after removed tranny oil pan to get rid of ATF seepage and replaced the filter, gasket and put a new atf which I replaced @ 60k per o/m schedule with no issues, now 2 days after replaced atf , NOW D2 is hard shifting when going to stop. you can feel when 2nd and 1st gear engages.
Following recommendations put lucas in it, 4 days driving the truck but :( still hard down shifting seems to softer when down shift manually, and and seems to better after lucas but STILL not normal like it used to be.. BTW the atf from the tranny was nice and clean, normal atf odor and color consistent with the mileage.

does hard shifting will go away immediately after lucas????... do I need to drive it to get rid of any air in the system or whatever...

opinions and thoughts are welcome!!

thanks!
Sounds like a TV cable adjustment issue after engine work.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
As for the hard shift,

Anything else going on? Engine light ? Maybe a silly question but..How sure are you that the fluid level is correct?
Hard down shift? What about regular driving up shift ... Normal?
What fluid did you use?

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
all silly questions are welcome.....NO LIGHT ON THE DASH. well about how I know about the level: 3 years ago I changed the tranny oil pan and put a Disco 1 tranny oil pan, means I do have a transmission dipstick, about ATF used valvoline DEX/MERC and 3 days after added lucas., the upshift feels a little hard but not something crazy, but going down, right BEFORE stop is very noticeable when 2nd gear engages and right after the 1st, its like Clunk ---clunk!! .. if I down shift manually feels 80% softer, something that you can say meeh! not bad.. and the oil that came out of the tranny with like 60+K miles was like red wine, brownish, and typical aatf smell, no burn no debris , just normal used atf. was doing perfect, BTW the only issue with my D since purchase (i'm the first /only owner) was the ticking noise right after I did the heads @ 140K. which ended in a #4 sleeve knock. started random knock then was constant. replaced the block put bunch of new stuff. Rad front cover, heads thermostat hoses etc.

Attachments

· Registered
188 Posts
Are you checking fluid level when cold per ZF specs?

If same situation on mine would do another drain/refill and go from there. Probably no change but at least you'd have more newer fluid.

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes sir! followed land rover shop manual,

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. About a couple months ago, my tranny started up shifting from 2nd to first REALLY hard while coming to a stop. At first is was random and rare, but now it's happening almost all the time, with varied levels of severity. I had my local shop look at it, and they started talking about play in the drive-line and how it was normal. I insisted they look into it, and they found nothing. I'd be interested to see what solution you come to to fix the issue.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Here's a question. Is the level indicated on your new/old dipstick accurate for a D2 trans or did you fill it the original way to get a base-line reading on the dip-stick for "full"?
Is it possible that the pump was damaged some how in the re-assembly of the engine/trans?
I would definately do another fluid change the "D2" way, JUST to make sure your level is correct.

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dip stick level and D2 filling plug level are the same, by design D1 is lower since oil gets in to the dipstick tube to reach the dipst , and By the way.... don't forget is been 3 years now since I did that oil pan swap just to have more reliability in my trips, I don't need to do all the stupid process to check fluid level, which by the way was changed to keep the weekend DYers out of over filling the tranny and have them drive the truck to a real tech... is the very first time having issues with tranny, and i just replaced the oil because that stupid seepage in the oil pan gasket .....Dammit

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah drive line play is normal since pinions and gears were invented, and they smoothed that using that girly rear rubber coupling, even more is car has over 75k, BUT this is not related to that gears play, is about how the tranny is shifting which is abrupt. and magnified by the drive line natural play. Im about to get to my friend's shop (Land Rover ) to see if he can spare me an used tranny to start playing with it and see.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Hard shift after you have stopped really sounds like it is loosing pressure for some reason .
You could try adding another litre, it should not hurt anything, worst case it will push some fluid out the vent. Would eliminate starving for fluid as a possible cause

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correction**** before stopping (my bad) but yes that's what i think might be, pressure lose

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update! after I drained the tranny the first time I noticed it was a clunk when shifting from neutral to drive and reverse. that along with the hard down shift, then I put a lucas qt and used the d2 as normal commute as always.... it seemed like the hard shift turned a little softer but still there and definitely the clunk when going from park to reverse was reduced in a 60%.... with that been said .. last night I dropped the oil pan to check if by I chance the filter seal was kinked or something , removed the filter inspected (didn't found anything wrong BTW) put it back in place. refill the tranny, and started up, first thing I noticed was that the hard clunk when going from park to reveres or drive was back again and the real hard down shift as well.
my conclusion at this point is that seems to be a failure caused by fluid cavitation is the galleries, due to air in the system caught after draining the transmission ( keep in mind is a 164k old transmission) .
if I'm right the hard shift should go away after all galleries and fluid passages are air free.
At least that's my BEST WISH.... :dunno:
I started browsing tranny prices anyway:serious

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After almost 3 bottles of lucas and 2 k miles driving from Jax Fl to Dc (I95) returning by Blue mountain ridge way, lots of shifting up hill and down hill, seems like D2 tranny is cured, only kicks the first gear when stopping, very little. and only sometimes when cold.

Reactions: redtruck12

· LANJ66
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess so, I dont see any other reason, all this started after replacing the trans oil pan gasket. it was fantastic before touching the tranny to replace the gasket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.