Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...I've got an 01 Disco 2 which I just had a tranny swap done, thanks to the driveshaft going and blowing a hole in my otherwise fine original transmission. Long story short, swapped in a tranny with 73k on it and had it installed by a transmission shop. To put it through its paces when I picked it up, I floored the accelarator. That resulted in the rpm's jumping to 5500 and sticking there. Vehicle refused to shift unless i let off the gas. No check engine lights, no other issues. Any thoughts on potential causes? Happens every time you floor the gas.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Hard to say where to start. Likely lots of stuff apart if trans was just changed. Normally the computers will read airflow, throttle position and engine vacuum to calculate shift strategy. Other thing that comes to mind is a poor connection at the x.y.z.sensot. Is the shop that did the install willing to work with you to diagnose it or have they washed their hands of it?
So many shops are terrified of rovers. Are they?

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
At first glance it sounds like a low fluid issue.

If the trans shop isn't too well versed in LRs then all they did was probably fill it up via the fill hole and call it a day. Unfortunately that'll leave you about 2 quarts short if your starting with a dry box. The system has to be bled. This includes starting the engine and having someone cycle through the gears while another person continues to fill the transmission until fluid seeps out of the hole.

Either way, any decent shop will give you at least a 30 day warranty on the work, so take it back in and have them diagnose it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.