Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately for me my 2005 LR3 transmission must be replaced. I would like to buy a re-manufactured by ZF transmission with the "new" valve body (included in the price). That seems to be the best option since it would be new parts. Most transmission shops want to do their own re-build not install an after market transmission purchased separately. Would my general auto service provider be able to do the install of the re-manufactured trans. or is it so complex I need to use a transmission service only? Thank you.

1,855 Posts
Look,
it might just need to have the Trans fluid and filter changed. Even when it looses trans fluid there is usually a lot left in it. Take it to British Auto works in the Bronx. They are very good. These trans don't just fail.
Dave

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just made an appt. with them for next Thursday. I am at the very bottom of Queens by the ocean and they are at the top in the Bronx so it is far but worth it if they can help. I'll let you know what they say. Thank you for the recommendation.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look,
it might just need to have the Trans fluid and filter changed. Even when it looses trans fluid there is usually a lot left in it. Take it to British Auto works in the Bronx. They are very good. These trans don't just fail.
Dave
Hi Dave,
It has been more then a month since you took the time to address my transmission issue and I am just responding now because I wanted some time to see if the "Transmission Service" corrected the transmission slipping. So far it appears to have corrected the transmission issue I was experiencing and saved me about $6k. I can't thank you enough, you're a real life saver. You also introduced me to an alternative to inept service garages and overpriced Dealer's. Thank you again you helped more then you could know.

1,855 Posts
Hi LQQK,
Glad I was able to help.
Make sure to get both differentials and the transfer case fluid serviced ASAP if you have not. British Auto works uses BG oil for them. Please let them know that David sent you. The bearings in the diffs are the most common failure due to not changing the oil on time. (Metal particles get mixed in the oil breaking down the bearings) changing the oil in the diffs helps slow this process down.
Be well,
LR3's are Awesome possibly the Best Land Rover has built.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.