Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second mechanic, 6 weeks in. First mechanic installed new drive shaft and a used transmission. The "Transfer gearbox in neutral" warning light comes on when the gearbox is in either neutral or high. No light when the gearbox is in low.

When in low, can't do more than 20mph with struggle. When in High, the warning light blares, but can drive OK for about a mile before transmission slips.

Took to second mechanic (a community trusted transmission shop) to diagnose the gearbox - ZERO confidence after 6 weeks in the first mechanic. They say the transmission is bad because "it does not generate enough amps to operate the gearbox".

Is this a real thing? Sounds fishy - says they never troubleshot the gearbox. Can a transmission be checked for the "amps" it can generate before installation?

Please answer ASAP - scheduled to go pick it up in about 3 hours and park it here at home until I can figure out what to do. After $3000, I just can't put more money into a 2002 Discovery SE. Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is there any shop in your area familiar with Land Rovers? You really need to get that thing to someone who knows what they are doing. The place you are going to does not seem reputable.

I really don't know what it is about these vehicles that seems to baffle general auto mechanics.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
A long shot here...

One thing is that with a low battery/bad alternator, you'll get all kinds of crazy issues with the transfer case warning lights. My Disco was in my garage for a couple months last year while I worked on the transfer case. After reassembly, I experienced a strange behavior with the TC neutral warning light, similar to what you are describing. After reading about it on the internet, I made sure the battery was charged and the odd behavior went away.

Maybe that's what he was trying to say in a not too clear way?

If everything else has failed, take the battery and alternator to a good shop to have them tested, maybe?

·
Registered
202 Posts
A long shot here...

One thing is that with a low battery/bad alternator, you'll get all kinds of crazy issues with the transfer case warning lights. My Disco was in my garage for a couple months last year while I worked on the transfer case. After reassembly, I experienced a strange behavior with the TC neutral warning light, similar to what you are describing. After reading about it on the internet, I made sure the battery was charged and the odd behavior went away.

Maybe that's what he was trying to say in a not too clear way?

If everything else has failed, take the battery and alternator to a good shop to have them tested, maybe?
If the problem was only with the neutral indicator lamp I would support your theory. However, the vehicle won't drive properly and is jumping out of gear (it seems) I can't see what that has to do with voltage.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
If the problem was only with the neutral indicator lamp I would support your theory. However, the vehicle won't drive properly and is jumping out of gear (it seems) I can't see what that has to do with voltage.
You are probably right. I did not read the original post carefully enough.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Second mechanic, 6 weeks in. First mechanic installed new drive shaft and a used transmission. The "Transfer gearbox in neutral" warning light comes on when the gearbox is in either neutral or high. No light when the gearbox is in low.

When in low, can't do more than 20mph with struggle. When in High, the warning light blares, but can drive OK for about a mile before transmission slips.

Took to second mechanic (a community trusted transmission shop) to diagnose the gearbox - ZERO confidence after 6 weeks in the first mechanic. They say the transmission is bad because "it does not generate enough amps to operate the gearbox".

Is this a real thing? Sounds fishy - says they never troubleshot the gearbox. Can a transmission be checked for the "amps" it can generate before installation?

Please answer ASAP - scheduled to go pick it up in about 3 hours and park it here at home until I can figure out what to do. After $3000, I just can't put more money into a 2002 Discovery SE. Thanks!
I hope you did this BEFORE I made my recommendation on your previous post. Because if you ignored my advice, then you asked for it. I apologize in advance if you did not read my answer.
I'll state it again for clarity. You CANNOT take these trucks to someone with no experience with them. I don't care how good they are. There are way too many LR "quirks". Unless you want them to learn on yours at your expense.
Your right, at 3000.00, your in over your head on a 2002, especially one that's still not running.
I would be demanding some money back. A garage that takes your money has an obligation to do the work correctly, and at the very least offer some money back if they can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.