Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Transmission or transfer case

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Disco Drew 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an '04 Disco. I noticed several days ago that after a 1400 mile trip, I was getting a really bad shudder while speeding up. THis shudder would go away/become minimal once I was at speed. IT was the worst between 20-40 MPH. I thought it was an engine issue (I broke a single blade off of the cooling fan).

I was driving it to try and troubleshoot a little more when I heard a loud pop during the shudder. I pulled over, and got out. When I looked underneath the vehicle, I saw that the Hookes joint connecting the front drive shaft to the transfer case had destroyed itself. I got underneath and removed the front drive shaft by sliding it off of the spline on the front transfer case.

I then put the vehicle in drive and tried to drive. Nothing. When I put it back in park, I hear what sounds like a tooth skipping across the top of the gears (similar to a baseball card in a bicycle wheel).

***update*** Went outside and started up the vehicle. I then put it in drive. Keep in mind that the forward shaft is out. With the transmission in drive, the forward output of the transfer case is spinning and the rear shaft is stationary. This leads me to believe that it is the transfer case.

Can someone please let me know if they think that I need a new transfer case or transmission, or something entirely different?:dunno:

See less See more
#2 ·
All you need is to put your t/case in 4 High and you can drive on the rear alone.
Might look at British Parts of Utah for an up-dated front shaft.

#5 ·
as discobiscuit says you have to lock the cdl or the transfer case will just spin. once you lock the center dif lock the power will be split 50 : 50 front back so the front will still spin but the back will actually be able to work. at the moment all of the power is going just to the broken shaft as thats the easiest route.
cheers
Barri

#7 ·
Stuck how? Have you looked to see what is wrong? In the case of an 04, the solenoid under the console has failed. If you are a little mechanical, you could disconnect the CDL cable from the top front of the t/case and shift it into CDL by rotating the shift nipple clockwise.

#8 ·
When I try to push it left to lock the CDL, the lever will not move. It shifts between 4H and 4L just fine. I just can't get the lever to the left. I read somewhere that this happens if you never use the lock. I think that I have to remove the center console to access the linkage on top of the transfer case.

I am definately mechanical (aircraft mechanic by trade and auto enthusiast for years). It also helps that I have the RAVE manual from you Mike. I used it to do my head gaskets.

From what I understand, I need to get on top of the transfer case and loosen up the linkage. I read this on a thread here. If that is not the case, please let me know.

#9 ·
You might want to PM me your number and lets talk on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.