Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2000 Disco II with 165,000. I noticed the transmission temp dash light came on about a month ago while driving. I changed the fluid last year in the transmission but wasnt sure if I had added enough. So I just decided to change out the fluid and at the same time put a new filter in. I am positive I have enough fluid this time. My suspicion is that the lines or tranny cooler has become clogged. I will overheat within 10 min on a hot day of driving and it takes longer on cooler days. No codes or flashing lights. At this point what should I do to diagnose the problem. I tried feeling the lines and cooler after driving to possibly feel for cooler spots. The lines were all hot and the cooler was warm to the touch. What can I do at this point so I can drive for more than 10 min?

Thanks for your comments:)
-Heather

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Only way to do it right is to drain and drop the pan. Is the fluid "burnt"? Are you making metal? Has the filter failed? If everything looks good there, check the lines and cooler. At that mileage, I'd just replace them to be sure.
- Bill

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only way to do it right is to drain and drop the pan. Is the fluid "burnt"? Are you making metal? Has the filter failed? If everything looks good there, check the lines and cooler. At that mileage, I'd just replace them to be sure.
- Bill
I was hoping to not drop the pan again. The fluid was not burnt when I changed it out, it looked nice and clean. The magnet in the sump was covered with metal shavings, not sure how much is normal. I am really leaning towards the lines being clogged. I might just replace the lines as you say. If the problem is in the cooler though, can I just put a water hose to it and expect it to free anything up??? After googling I see some people spray liquid wrench to loosen up stuff, idk about spraying that in the system though.

Thanks,
-Heather

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was hoping to not drop the pan again. The fluid was not burnt when I changed it out, it looked nice and clean. The magnet in the sump was covered with metal shavings, not sure how much is normal. I am really leaning towards the lines being clogged. I might just replace the lines as you say. If the problem is in the cooler though, can I just put a water hose to it and expect it to free anything up??? After googling I see some people spray liquid wrench to loosen up stuff, idk about spraying that in the system though.

Thanks,
-Heather
Here's where we have to be perfectly clear. When you say metal shavings, are you talking about very small individual shavings that look silver in color or are you talking about a kind of darkish or black sludge like material? The sludge material is normal, anything silver is not and indicates something is coming apart. Again, if it's just the cooler and you plan on keeping the disco for the forseeable future, I would invest the few extra dollars in a new cooler along with the lines.
- Bill

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bill,

I should have called it "sludge". I am planning on keeping it for as long as I can fix the problems. Thanks for the advice.

-Heather

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That's good, but obviously you still have a problem. I know it sucks, but I would still drop that pan, JUST to be sure. Here's my reasoning. What if something has started to fail since last year and is clogging up your system now. You may have caught it before it leaves you stranded somewhere. If it's just the cooler/lines, you don't know if a flush will completely clear it or if it will just fail again in the future. "Penny wise, pound foolish" / "Pay me now or pay me later" / "Do it right the first time" etc... I've learned many times the hard way that these apply especially well to Discos.
- Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
You think the transmision is overheating / running hot because the dash light comes on after 10 mins of driving. This light is controled by two sensors. One on the transfer case and one on the radiator. Before you start replacing lines and dropping the pan again, I would check and make sure it's not a bad sensor. I would think if the filter or lines was getting clogged, the transmission would slip, shift funny, or go into a limp home mode.

Reactions: Deano1972

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Heather, I think we spoke once before, if you have my number give me a call before you do anything with this issue.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You think the transmision is overheating / running hot because the dash light comes on after 10 mins of driving. This light is controled by two sensors. One on the transfer case and one on the radiator. Before you start replacing lines and dropping the pan again, I would check and make sure it's not a bad sensor. I would think if the filter or lines was getting clogged, the transmission would slip, shift funny, or go into a limp home mode.
Your right and wrong. It could be the sensor, but there is only one and it is on the trans cooler itself.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Actually there are 2 sensors, 1 for the tranny and 1 for the t/case and they both will/can trigger that tranny temp light.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
No problem, I stand on my toes frequently as I grow older.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hello all,
I have a 2000 Disco II with 165,000. I noticed the transmission temp dash light came on about a month ago while driving. I changed the fluid last year in the transmission but wasnt sure if I had added enough. So I just decided to change out the fluid and at the same time put a new filter in. I am positive I have enough fluid this time. My suspicion is that the lines or tranny cooler has become clogged. I will overheat within 10 min on a hot day of driving and it takes longer on cooler days. No codes or flashing lights. At this point what should I do to diagnose the problem. I tried feeling the lines and cooler after driving to possibly feel for cooler spots. The lines were all hot and the cooler was warm to the touch. What can I do at this point so I can drive for more than 10 min?

Thanks for your comments:)
-Heather
As stated in other posts.. There are 2 trans. temp sensors (up to 03 if I recall correctly). Usually the 1 in the cooler goes to crap, but I would start with checking fluids are topped off, both the transmission and T-case. if your T-case (transfer case) is leaking, start there to see if it's full. the sensor is located on the driver side (parallel with the ground) of the T-case. I used to have a pic of it on here somewhere. The fill hole is on the rear between the p-brake cable and drum.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As stated in other posts.. There are 2 trans. temp sensors (up to 03 if I recall correctly). Usually the 1 in the cooler goes to crap, but I would start with checking fluids are topped off, both the transmission and T-case. if your T-case (transfer case) is leaking, start there to see if it's full. the sensor is located on the driver side (parallel with the ground) of the T-case. I used to have a pic of it on here somewhere. The fill hole is on the rear between the p-brake cable and drum.
I changed all of my fluids last year including the transfer case, I will check the level to be sure. I have no drivability issues. No slipping or difference in shifting. With that being said, any indication of what is causing the trans oil temp light to illuminate? How would I troubleshoot the sensors or does this point to a clog? Would an ohms meter on the sensors do the trick and what reading does a good sensor give and under what conditions??? Any ideas?
Thanks for your help everyone.
Btw Mike I don't have your number.

Thanks
-Heather

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Either a plugged cooler line, bad sensor or your tranny is about to fail.
I would have the fluid levels checked today and with the tranny, check the color of the fluid, brown or read as well as the smell.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys,
I need a little more advice.
So I drained the fluid again and it is cherry red and smells brand new. The filter is new and was replaced after the overheating light was coming on. The light comes on like clockwork after about 10-12 miles of driving. Is this enough to rule out that the transmission is actually overheating? If this were a clogged oil cooler or clogged lines wouldn't my fluid be burnt? My idea is that things are pointing to one of the sensors, does anybody know how to test them and the appropriate readings.

Thanks for reading, thank you for anymore advice.
-Heather

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Lets rule out the tranny sense you are not also getting any of the 100 &0700 fault codes and start looking at the sensors.
The majority of the issues from a tranny light are always related to a bad sensor so start reading in the Rave and find the values for both of the sensors.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I changed all of my fluids last year including the transfer case, I will check the level to be sure. I have no drivability issues. No slipping or difference in shifting. With that being said, any indication of what is causing the trans oil temp light to illuminate? How would I troubleshoot the sensors or does this point to a clog? Would an ohms meter on the sensors do the trick and what reading does a good sensor give and under what conditions??? Any ideas?
Thanks for your help everyone.
Btw Mike I don't have your number.

Thanks
-Heather
from the book

"The transmission high temperature warning lamp is controlled according to the voltage present on the temperature sensor to instrument panel earth path:
< 1.8 volts = warning lamp on.
> 7.7 volts = warning lamp off."

And no, I have not checked the resistance across the sensor to see the difference hot, cold or bad.

Edit: usually the sensor on the cooler is the one that fails.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
from the book

"The transmission high temperature warning lamp is controlled according to the voltage present on the temperature sensor to instrument panel earth path:
< 1.8 volts = warning lamp on.
> 7.7 volts = warning lamp off."

And no, I have not checked the resistance across the sensor to see the difference hot, cold or bad.

Edit: usually the sensor on the cooler is the one that fails.
Thanks Bill for that info and thank you everybody else for your help. I just wanted to post that the problem was a bad sensor on the tranny oil cooler. I was able to pull off the right tire and swap it out easy.

-Heather

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lets rule out the tranny sense you are not also getting any of the 100 &0700 fault codes and start looking at the sensors.
The majority of the issues from a tranny light are always related to a bad sensor so start reading in the Rave and find the values for both of the sensors.
Hi. my 2006 RR HSE full size is going limp with p0705. the transmission is running hot at about 112C. Happened right before I changed the fluid filter and seals. Still doing it, but much sooner after the restart. Thoughts? Scared to take to LR dealer for servcie.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts