Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a sanity check please - TLDR below:

Background:
I picked up this '04 SE7 this year with 125K on him. It had been sitting for YEARS with a blown headgasket. I replaced the entire cooling system (all aluminum), upgraded to ARP studs, STI wires and Champion Platinum plugs, replaced the Timing gears, the Oil Pump, the P/S Pump, hoses and P/S reservoir (went aluminum there too). I need to go through and check all the vacuum lines still (brake booster bleeds when I shutdown the truck and I'm sure those vacuum lines are likely dried out etc).

When putting the front-end back together, it looks like it did create a leak in the Transmission Cooler at the joint. I am sourcing a replacement but did JB Weld the joint to keep it from leaking (worked) while I trouble-shoot. There may be a small pin prick leaking now but there's not puddle. I may need to go in and coat the whole thing to stop the drip if that's a factor. It's only 150 psi and should be fine. I think I leaked maybe a half a quart of TX fluid IF that.

Currently:
Took a bit to start the truck but starts. Once she starts and goes through the cycle, purrs pretty well but once you drop the truck into gear and try to move, it's very labored and throws the amigos.

Codes:
P0302 - Misfire in Cylinder 2 (Cylinder 2 is Bank 2)
P0733 - Incorrect 3rd Gear Ratio
P0150 - O2 Sensor (Bank 2) - new
[3] AMIGOs - new

I'm getting spark AND fuel at the plug and the plug is fouled with fuel (replaced the fouled plug with a new one and the misfire continues). I have NOT removed the upper plume yet as I'm a Vin-5.

Thoughts/TLDR:
An extended start/sputter with a P0302 and a P0733 can indicate a MAF failing BUT I had that TX leak at the cooler and I don't know if that could cause the issue with the P0733 - though I lost less than a quart and I have heard of Rovers running a quart low and never seeing a 733 or 734, but is that true? Also, the P0150 is new and aligns with the issues of the truck running rich; however, I haven't put ANY miles on the truck since all this work and the fact it fouled the plug and O2 in just 1-hour worth of idle/troubleshooting is still pulling me back to the MAF. FYI - Believe it or not, in all the years of ownership I have never had a MAF fail on our trucks - hence my hesitation.

I have a spare MAF and I ordered both Upstream O2 Sensors. Will find out about the TX cooler in the next 24-48 hours, likely. My next-steps right now are to swap the O2's and swap the MAF before I go and remove the SAI & IM BUT I would like to know if anyone else has had a leak around that TX Cooler; what codes they saw associated with such, etc.?

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
I’m not sure 100% on these, but on Volvos with autos, the 3rd gear incorrect ratio code is a death sentence for the trans.
If you haven’t already, change the trans fluid and filter and see if that helps. You can also try cleaning the MAF with some MAF cleaner and see if that helps. Let us know how it goes

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure 100% on these, but on Volvos with autos, the 3rd gear incorrect ratio code is a death sentence for the trans.
If you haven’t already, change the trans fluid and filter and see if that helps. You can also try cleaning the MAF with some MAF cleaner and see if that helps. Let us know how it goes
Tranny fluid looks good, even color-wise and smell. Can be a death-sentence on these as well unless it's related to something else going on. I did some research before I wrote-up the post as I wanted to be sure that leak couldn't have caused this (tx leak with slightly low tx fluid and a tx code) BUT the combo of codes could also be related to the same air problem (bad MAF). Especially if someone states they've had low fluid and never saw a code like this for that.

Yeah, more to come on this one. Going to tackle the air/fuel issue before I go digging too much. New O2 sensors shipped yesterday. Going to swap those and the MAF before I go messing with that plume. If you can't tell, I hate taking that thing off...Easy-peasy on Vin 2 but oof on a Vin 5.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Tranny fluid looks good, even color-wise and smell. Can be a death-sentence on these as well unless it's related to something else going on. I did some research before I wrote-up the post as I wanted to be sure that leak couldn't have caused this (tx leak with slightly low tx fluid and a tx code) BUT the combo of codes could also be related to the same air problem (bad MAF). Especially if someone states they've had low fluid and never saw a code like this for that.

Yeah, more to come on this one. Going to tackle the air/fuel issue before I go digging too much. New O2 sensors shipped yesterday. Going to swap those and the MAF before I go messing with that plume. If you can't tell, I hate taking that thing off...Easy-peasy on Vin 2 but oof on a Vin 5.
Yeah see how the new MAF goes. I don't understand how it could be related to a trans code, but you never know with these, and you do have AFR-related codes. I will say that, due to the fact that my transmission case has a crack in it from driveshaft failure under previous ownership, my transmission is constantly leaking and has been as much as 4 quarts low and still mostly functioning OK with no codes. Even if the fluid is low, it's never exhibited the issue where it's labored like you stated. If it's completely out, it just doesn't go anywhere at all.

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah see how the new MAF goes. I don't understand how it could be related to a trans code, but you never know with these, and you do have AFR-related codes. I will say that, due to the fact that my transmission case has a crack in it from driveshaft failure under previous ownership, my transmission is constantly leaking and has been as much as 4 quarts low and still mostly functioning OK with no codes. Even if the fluid is low, it's never exhibited the issue where it's labored like you stated. If it's completely out, it just doesn't go anywhere at all.
That's what I needed to hear - i.e. your TX Fluid was crazy low and no lights/alarms.

Symptoms:
Misfire in Cylinder 2
Incorrect 3rd Gear Ratio
Hesitation on Start
Fouled Right Bank O2

Won't be any updates for a week but I'll let you guys know what happens once I swap out the O2's and the MAF.

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed the forward O2 sensors. New Bosch MAF (old one freaked out when I cleaned it). Rebuilt the fuel injectors (they needed it). Rewried and reloomed under the plume and to the firewall.

I went ahead and relocated the coil pack because of all of this. Waiting for the new plug wires to arrive to test. Kingsborne has three custom GC in stock.

Misfire appears to have been caused by a leaking injector on #2.

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Misfire was definitely caused by an injector leak.

O2 code likely because the truck sat so long. Replacing those fixed that.

3-Amigos is a 114 Shuttle Valve Circuit Failure.

P0733 tranny code is hiding. Truck labors some when going around the neighborhood. Wonder if I shouldn't change the fluid etc.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Misfire was definitely caused by an injector leak.

O2 code likely because the truck sat so long. Replacing those fixed that.

3-Amigos is a 114 Shuttle Valve Circuit Failure.

P0733 tranny code is hiding. Truck labors some when going around the neighborhood. Wonder if I shouldn't change the fluid etc.
If it’s never been changed, change it. Unless you have astronomical miles on it, fresh fluid and especially a fresh filter will certainly help

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it’s never been changed, change it. Unless you have astronomical miles on it, fresh fluid and especially a fresh filter will certainly help
Really labors getting going and shifting - like limp mode, but no check engine. Need a second person up change the TX fluid. 😐

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Really labors getting going and shifting - like limp mode, but no check engine. Need a second person up change the TX fluid. 😐
Nope! Done it by myself a couple times. Just has to be running to fill it.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Never managed it by myself. Gonna have to try. Can't drive it like this.
Yeah it's not too bad. Drain the fluid, remove the bolts around the edge of the pan, pull it off, and then pull the bolt (bolts?) for the transmission filter. Pull it out, put a new one in, put the pan back on, fire up the engine, and then use a fluid pump to pump transmission fluid (Dexron III) into the fill hole on the side of the pan. Do this until it starts trickling out of the hole. Then put the plug in, go up into the truck, and run it through the gears, stopping for a few seconds in each gear. And then you're done! I think Atlantic British has a good video I used when I did mine a fw years back.

· Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, after everything is said and done - no, these codes had nothing to do with MAF in this situation and all of them are completely resolved. Have a sporadic 3 Amigos for 114 but I'm going to hook up the Nanocom and flush the brake system to see if that resolves it.

0302 was due to a broke injector tip. I threw in some good, rebuilt injectors and the issue cleared. I took the opportunity to relocate the coil pack.

0150 was bad O2 sensors. Truck sat for 3 years AND was dumping fuel in #2.

0733 was due to the transmission fluid level being critically low (less than 1qt IN it). Have a transmission cooler line leak to fix next... oof. Appears the leak was existing and likely the cause of the lack of ATF after further inspection.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Well, after everything is said and done - no, these codes had nothing to do with MAF in this situation and all of them are completely resolved. Have a sporadic 3 Amigos for 114 but I'm going to hook up the Nanocom and flush the brake system to see if that resolves it.

0302 was due to a broke injector tip. I threw in some good, rebuilt injectors and the issue cleared. I took the opportunity to relocate the coil pack.

0150 was bad O2 sensors. Truck sat for 3 years AND was dumping fuel in #2.

0733 was due to the transmission fluid level being critically low (less than 1qt IN it). Have an Oil cooler leak to fix next... oof. Appears the leak was existing and likely the cause of the lack of ATF after further inspection.
Wow that’s low. I will say I’ve had mine lower than that with no codes, but it was completely out so it didn’t go anywhere and probably didn’t have time to set any codes. Glad you got it sorted. Be careful with those cooler lines - I had to disconnect them when I did the radiator in mine, and when I went to drive it after fixing everything that line popped of and dumped all my transmission fluid onto the road and left me stranded like a half mile from my house. So make sure they are fully seated and clipped in.
Merry Christmas!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts