Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed transmission pan conversion using Britpart 2 piece kit (filter separate from pan) I cleaned all threads with a chaser, cleaned the mating surface with a plastic scraper and a red scuff pad to remove any oxidation without damage to the surface. After that wiped it with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was dry.
I followed Atlantic British instructions used the gasket tack spray.
Tightened everything per workshop manual torque specs. After initial fill it seamed ok but after a warm up and a top off the whole perimeter of the gasket started leaking. In panic I tightened the screws a bit more which slowed the leak but it keeps dripping.
Anyone have experience with this or any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need one of these. The paper gasket really doesn’t cut the mustard.

Its a common complaint and my money would be on the expansion rate of the metal pan being very different from the original, that coupled with a very thin paper gasket just isn’t enough of a buffer to keep a good seal.

And they’re reusable. Also I’m assuming that the sealing surfaces on both the new metal pan and transmission were spotless and with no signs of damage.

Just double check the part number.

Just don’t keep tightening. There’s a recommend torque. Not sure what it is off the top of my head but be careful. The last thing you want is to strip the threads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drained the oil so it wouldn’t end up a big puddle on the garage floor. I originally tightened the screws to 6 lb ft per shop manual and triple checked all screws. I agree more tightening the screws won’t help, it was a panic move I thought maybe just a tiny bit more would help.
LubeLocker gaskets are pretty good but I could not find one for ZF transmission. Wonder if I should resort to RTV gasket maker.

There was no damage on either surface. When I took out the old pan there were some spots of oxidation. I cleaned them up with a plastic scraper and a mild scuff pad.
Couple of potential issues:
- I used a gasket tack spray, could it be reacting with the trans fluid?
It was Permatex Spray a Gasket sealer
- I used a little grease with the thread chaser. Mating surfaces were cleaned with brake cleaner soaked shop towel. I checked to make sure the surface was dry afterwards but the grease could have bled to the gasket area sometime during the install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I doubt the spray will be reacting. They’re pretty inert. The paper gasket is pretty poor for the job really. That and the metal pan being so thin and it will weep when filled. It’s a common problem. The best solution is to use a more meatier gasket as I linked above or a meatier pan. The gasket is cheaper and easier to source.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s what it looks like after removal. Red residue is from Spray-A-Gasket sealant.

reverse side

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Given the presented information, I would have to side with @Marine Diesel on the gasket. If the OEM pan is stiffer or thicker metal, it will seal better. A thinner metal with more flex will bow between bolts. Did you notice it weeping between bolts more than at bolts?

I haven’t had the pan off on my 3, but I don’t think I recall this ridge being original:

it appears the manufacturer expects some flex, perhaps more than they bargained for. Is there a mating channel on the other surface?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original pan is plastic with a narrow, but thicker, rubber gasket. Conversion kit has a metal pan.
There was no oil dripping from the bolts but it is hard to pinpoint where the gasket gave out. I will try putting up against a glass surface to see if the ridge is still even.

Given the presented information, I would have to side with @Marine Diesel on the gasket. If the OEM pan is stiffer or thicker metal, it will seal better. A thinner metal with more flex will bow between bolts. Did you notice it weeping between bolts more than at bolts?

I haven’t had the pan off on my 3, but I don’t think I recall this ridge being original:
View attachment 93429

it appears the manufacturer expects some flex, perhaps more than they bargained for. Is there a mating channel on the other surface?
The transmission side is flat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LubeLocker Ford gasket looks very similar. Ford licensed ZF 6 speed transmission, do you know if it is the same fit?

I am strongly considering using a silicone gasket maker as an alternative.

You need one of these. The paper gasket really doesn’t cut the mustard.

Its a common complaint and my money would be on the expansion rate of the metal pan being very different from the original, that coupled with a very thin paper gasket just isn’t enough of a buffer to keep a good seal.

And they’re reusable. Also I’m assuming that the sealing surfaces on both the new metal pan and transmission were spotless and with no signs of damage.

Just double check the part number.

Just don’t keep tightening. There’s a recommend torque. Not sure what it is off the top of my head but be careful. The last thing you want is to strip the threads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks so much! What great find, I wish I knew about this a few weeks ago. Would have saved a few hundred $.

I was looking at the picture of the Ford pan. It has a smooth mating surface, Britpart has a ridge, which could pose a challenge if used with Ford gasket. At least I have some choices now, get a Ford pan and LubeLocker gasket or use gasket maker with my Britpart pan.

I already ordered ZF fluid, I have a few days to decide on the pan now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up using a Felpro gasket, available at most local auto parts stores. It is sold as a Ford part. I have seen it used on Aussie forums. The gasket is metal with a nice bead of rubber on the inner perimeter.
The results were much better, I noticed a couple of small drops hanging off the pan after a few days, none on the floor.
I checked torque specs for the Ford transmission pan bolts , they are much higher compared to LR. I wonder if torquing closer to Ford specs will seal it up

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I think that torque specs are a function of the metal strength and the gasket strength. I’d give it a whirl!

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Excellent news! Ford gasket, Ford specs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts