Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I reversed my Freelander round a corner today and it suddenly made 2 loud bangs that can only be described as the sound of the car jumping out of gear.
I tried a similar maneouvre to demonstrate to a friend and the same happened again !

The car will reverse in a straight line no problem and will comfortably hold the torque reversing up an incline, but seems to dislike corners.

Does anyone know if there is a common problem here ? I wondered if it might be a differential problem ?? No symptoms at all when driving in forward.

I am deeply worried as the car is up for sale and I need to raise money quickly for a business venture.

Many thanks for your input in advance.
Kind regards,
Russ.

PS Anyone want to buy a 2000 Freelander XEDi, full leather, Air Con + slight transmission problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You may have a locked viscous coupling which is causing transmission windup which shows itself on corners (when the load is greatest). Because of this you may have a damaged intermediate reduction drive unit (the banging noise) - possibly the sound of teeth breaking inside - not enough to stop drive though - yet.

Don't drive the car and get it checked out.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
if the problem only happens on corners and you got to sell the car sell as is.

remember it only does it when you reverse on corners.

If you dont do it often or none at all then dont worry and sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
trans prob

hi there had a similar problem with a freelander replaced the ird and the visc couplin' but all it was was tyres where different back to front check them and the pressures make sure they are all the same you can take the prop off and get it checked as there is nothing to go wrong in it just full off jelly like substance

·
Registered
110 Posts
antward said:
there is nothing to go wrong in it just full off jelly like substance
WRONG - yes you are right that in a serviceable VC it is full of jelly like substance - however when it has been overworked it solidifies and locks the VC so it will not slip - causing transmission windup - if driving on a hard surface something has to give and it is normally the IRD. Early symptoms are transmission windup while reversing and turning - this all happened to me 6 months ago but I was doing 120kph on an expessway at the time - result new IRD, VC and rear diff.

As I said in a earlier post - don't drive the car and get it checked.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
had an 05 have an axle windup noise. darnest thing was it had to really really warm. Then it was noisy on turns.

When it was cold it was fine. Swapped a propshaft ,no noise I thought I had fixed it. Only after driving it for a half an hour it did it again

Swapped the IRD and no noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.