Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Disco with about 41k miles on it. I noticed that the engine speed was up about 1000rpm at the same speed I was at the other day. There was no clunking noises, but you could just feel it slipping. It only seemed to happen in low gears though, as soon as it would shift up it was fine. I was going up a hill, and all of a sudden I had no forward motion. The only gear to work was reverse and it still went into park. I could select all gears, but none of them would work except park and reverse. I did a search and found it could be a variety of things, low fluid, broke linkage, or bad internals. I have already prepared myself for the worst, rebuilding the tranny. What steps should I take at home first before I spend the money on a new transmission? Also, if I check the fluid, what is the proper way to do it? Thanks,

Chris

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Chris,
Has the fluid ever been changed?
At your mileage, I would suggest you check the level and change it anyway. Pulling a hill and loosing forward drive sounds like your level is low.
You can check the level by removing the fill plug on the back side of the tranny. If you are on level ground you should either have a little fluid drip out when hot or at least be able to feel the fluid level with your finger in the fill hole.
Mike J.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking it was a mechanical problem (A clutch, etc) because even with in on flat ground now, I have no forward gears, only reverse. I will check the fluid level tonight after I get off of work. The fluid level is only documented as being changed once with the filter at about 35000 miles. That is what the land rover dealer told me when I brought it in for the first service after I bought it used. I will post back, hopefully it is something as simple as fluid level, but I expect it will be a more serious problem.

Chris

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Chris,
When these trannys are serviced they only get about half of their old fluid rmoved, the rest stays in the torque convertor and valve body.
If you are lucky you only have a valve sticking in the valve body which will cause what you have described.
By the way, the dealer can plug into the tranny and verify is there is a problem. If one is found I would have the dealer contact the factory rep and see about getting it repaired under warranty, customer good will.
Don't forget the additive.
Mike J.

· Registered
128 Posts
Toast.
Sounds as if the forward clutch has failed. You can overhaul the entire box, or drop it down, renew the forward clutch and toss it back in. Parts for plan "B" should be under $100.
It is an unusual failure at this mileage. Be sure to make sure the inside of the stator housing isn't grooved from the input shaft seal rings. Although this issue was resolved years ago, it still happens on occasion.
Rebuilt boxes are a dime a dozen, bet a genuine ZF rebuilder is a safer bet than "uncle Bob's transmisison exchange." Eriksson Industries are great people. http://www.erikssonindustries.com/

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
sounds almost exactly what happened to my D1. (but with 146,000 miles)

is there any noise when put into a forward gear?

i know my tranny was fried and required a replacment. i could only afford to find a salvaged unit, but i know www.phoenixhardparts.com has really good deals on the ZF 4HP22 & 4HP24 trannies. you can also buy up to a 4 year warranty.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no noise when I put it in a forward gear. I went out and checked tonight (not the fluid yet, it is 29 degrees outside and I have to clear my garage out before I do that). I cycled through the gears, and for the first time, the service engine soon light came on, the "D" indication was flashing as well as the "M" and "S" transmission lights were flashing. My nearest land rover dealer is an hour away, does anyone think it is alright to tow it to Aamco or cottman to get it diagnosed or am I just wasting my time?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Now that you have thrown codes and have flashing lights, you really want to consider limited driving. You will probably find if you drive it, it will go into limp mode.
Chris, you might want to consider call Autologic at their toll free # 1-800-533-2210 to find the closest shop in your area that has their testing equipment. They can diagnos all the problems the Rover dealers can using their test book.
There may be a local shop that can help answer your questions.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

I have not been driving it, I just started it to cycle it through all gears to check the fluid, I was going back and forward in my driveway to try to get it at some sort of operating temperature when the codes started flashing. I found a place in town that will diagnose it for free if I get it fixed there or $50 if I don't. I will bring it to them next week and let everyone know whats going on.

Chris

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Good luck with it, let us know what they find.
Mike J.

· Registered
57 Posts
Neutral is a must to tow!

If you tow your Disco be absolutely sure the transfer case is in neutral. I relied on the dash light to tell me mine was (it was not) and I killed all of the sprag clutches in less than 10 miles. A $3,000 mistake.

Chuck D
'01 Disco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.