Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had a problem with trans shift fault with an auto gear box when selecting drive it jumps to another gear ie/ first or reverse :mad: i carnt seem to finde the intermitant fault it will go for a few days and be ok the vehicle is a rangerover p38 4.0l petrol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like the gear position switch isn't reading quite right, or the electronic automatic transmission ECU is throwing a fit.

If it's intermittent it's probably cabling and / or sensor related.

This comms was upgraded in the 99 MY, when they introduced a controller area network digital comms structure.

The gearbox ECU is hidding under the left hand seat (at least for UK models), and requires removing the plastic trim to get to. Depending on your mechanical / electrical inclinations I'd start checking the connections there, as well as at the control box on the gearbox itself (you'll need to get the vehicle raised up on high to get at them).

HTH
---
Staffan Tj.
'96 RR 4.6HSE NAS
Rioja Red / Walnut

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Rik,
To take a sloppy linkage (rounded off connection) out of the equation, do you have problem in starting? i.e do you have to move the PRNDL stick to get it started? if yes it may be the linkage.
If this is the fault you may find it difficult to select park.
hope this helps :wave:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts