Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand from reading related posts there are 2 sensors one on the bottom of cooler and other on the Tranny. They are supposed to be connected parallel.

How would i test which one is bad? I tried to disconnect one at a time, light is still on. My light is always on so it's not the Transmission temperature or the fluid level.

Any suggestion how to turn this off?

Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
I understand from reading related posts there are 2 sensors one on the bottom of cooler and other on the Tranny. They are supposed to be connected parallel.

How would i test which one is bad? I tried to disconnect one at a time, light is still on. My light is always on so it's not the Transmission temperature or the fluid level.

Any suggestion how to turn this off?

Thanks
We had the sensor wire on the cooler sensor corrode and the only way to correct it is to install a good one. Try to find a good used sensor to test. You replace it through the wheel well $.02.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First you need to realize that that light will come on if there is a short or bad sensor and it will come on when either the t/case of tranny is running hot.
When was the last time you service bot the t/case and tranny, or checked your fluid level?

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
If it's on all of the time, then it is a bad sensor. Does it come on right when you start it up on a cold motor? If so, it's definitely the sensor. Just unplug the harness on the tranny cooler location and see if the light goes out. Do the same on the tranny location. Whichever one clears the light is the bad sensor.

If it doesn't clear from unplugging the sensor than you possibly have a wire shorting out as mike suggested.

I bought mine used too. Been running it for 3 years now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unplugged one at a time then both the sensors are unplugged now the light is still on.Transmission Temperature light is always on.

At this point I don't really care I just need the light to be off so the truck passes the state inspection.

Anyone knows how to turn this off for now?

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wanted to report back to you all I think i solved the problem. While was replacing my radiator I pulled the Transmission cooler, took the sensor out cleaned it put it back together now the warning light is gone at least for now.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
nice. did someone say you can get to the cooler sensor w/o pulling the radiator??
had one fail before and pulled the radiator to get to it. i'm going to investigate this new found wisdom tomorrow!!

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Sayeed if you have to test it again you need to connect the 2 wires you have pulled off together to complete the circuit. The light comes on if the circuit is broken you need to complete the circuit to get the light off.
Cheers
barri

·
Mr. t
561 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
i will be doing one this weekend.. i'll give it a try w/o pulling radiator

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
Just try to have everything you need handy to do the swap. You'll loose tranny fluid but not much at all if you're quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.