Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making a trip the end of November to Norfolk/Little Creek Virginia and then up to Fredricksburg and will be picking up some items for the beast. I plan on getting the OBD reader from AutoZone. What is the model/part number I should be looking for? Probably get another couple of cans of Seafoam. Anything else to bring back to Germany (small hard to find items)? I can mail things if it's not too heavy.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
oberdahill, two questions, is the disco you bought from America or European.

And is a motorpool nearby?

Reason being is the European specs for cars is different. The code reader might work and it might not.

and if a motorpool is nearby the guys will have equipment to read OBD2 stuff.

If they use General snap on scanners then you might be in luck.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The beast is U.S. specs. I have the check engine light and also the ABS light lit. I bled the brakes today to try and clear the light (didn't clear it) and will try to pull and clean the front sensors next week. I think the scanner will help me diagnose the problems without having to go to the dealership. I generally use the hobby repair shop in Stuttgart to work on it and they don't have the code reader. Any other suggestions on things to bring back?

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
there is a possibility that the abs code is causing the check engine lite.

but no code and your feeling around in the dark.

You should try to get a code reader that can read the ABS codes.

but before you try anything, try a dealership there in Germany to get a code to see where to go. you can get it diaged first and then fix it yourself.

the LR comps we use should be able to read the car regardless of country. Have them get the code and a printout if you can.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beezel,

Thanks for that input. The dealership has been great so far. I had the security ECU replaced, new key cut, and key fob programmed. While waiting for the second key fob to come in (original was complete failure), they've given me the LR without charging me until the replacement fob arrives and they can program the system as a whole. I assume that will save me some Euros.

I plan to have the dealer retrieve the Check Engine and ABS codes in the near future. I was thinking of getting the OBD reader so I can break codes without having to go through the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.