Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RRC 1987 had a misfire and loss of power when the engine was put on full throttle or on load (climbing a hill), that goes away if I restart the engine and then come back if I put the truck to the same conditions. After some research, I decided to replace the Alternator and the electrical components as well.

An upgrade Bosch 120 Amp alternator was put in place, a new Accel Ignition Coil and wire set. New battery cables No.2 gauge were also installed. New distributor caps and spark plugs with the correct gap. The problem continued; you can feel the truck will accelerate faster and feel the power of the new electric upgrade.

It didn’t end there. After taking the kids for a spin the truck decided it won’t start…. I open the hood to find out a fire on the relay cluster. I have spent a ton of money on the truck and now this.. Any help with the misfire, loss of power and why it caught on fire would be appreciated.

Picture will be posted soon, when my frustrations and anger go away.

:dunno::bawling:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure the 120A alternator and new battery aren't going to make the engine run any better, but it does contribute to spending tons of money. Otherwise, they are very good to have if you have lots of electrical accessories, and also for cold morning starts.

Missfire can indeed be caused by poor condition ignition components. It can also be caused by restricted fuel flow. It is difficult to determine which, but since you have replaced ignition components, you must first determine if the components you installed are indeed compatible with the vehicle. Mostly this means - is the coil of the correct type (with or without ballast resistor), are the ignition cables of good quality?

Restricted fuel flow can quite often be caused by a fuel filter, dirt in the petrol tank, worn out fuel pump, collapsing fuel hoses, dirty injectors etc. When the engine is under load or driving at high speed, the fuel flow is at maximum. Restricted flow means not enough fuel is injected and the engine missfires.

The fire in the relay cluster imply a large electrical load (headlights are enough) and a poor electrical connection on a relay or other connector. It will heat up enough to reduce strength of the connector and thereafter amplifying the problem until it becomes hot enough to melt and burn the plastic relay box. A good quality electrical bypass will work, else replace the melted box and connectors (expensive).

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, what I found. Apparently previous owner or mechanic, decided to jump the Condenser fan relay and the AC/heater with the starter solenoid relay, using a very thin cable. This was the cause of the fire.
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.