Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting p1171, p1174, p1412, and p1415 on a 2003 Discovery that's new to me, but that had the head gaskets replaced along with new plugs and wires about 10,000 miles ago or so when it was owned by my brother.

I tried to smoke test it following the instructions at How to Smoke test for Vacuum leaks with a Cigar - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum but I found all the smoke coming out of the third outlet on the side of the plenum chamber (the one on the bottom in this picture).

When I plugged it, no smoke came out of ANYWHERE.

Is something supposed to connect to that? Is it an outlet/inlet for venting the plenum chamber? If there's supposed to be a vacuum in the plenum chamber, then what is this port for? Could it be connected to my codes?

I plugged it and drove for about 40 minutes, and no codes have come back at all...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it doesn't go to anything, why is it there in the first place? Was it causing the codes? Was it supposed to let in a specific amount of air but was letting in too much? I'll be happy if plugging does in fact keep the codes away, but I'd like to know ~why~ or at least know what the heck is going on...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I would have to look up all the codes you have posted.

That port does nothing, and is not used (at least in the states). That said, keep it plugged, and yes it can cause code problems. With that port open sucking additional air, the mass air flow is reading differently than what is actually coming in to the engine. Plus, other sensors see a conflicting issue.

For the short of it.

DISREGARD ALL OF THE ABOVE.....

Just realized you have an 03, which has secondary air (not all of these do). that port goes to a big black round canister on the passenger side fender-well. The secondary air system is additional emissions crap.

steeling this pic black canister to intake

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Actually he is wrong, that is where the SAI vacuum hose should be plugged in. Since it is not, that might explain those 2 1400 Sai codes.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2000 d2. Looked like it may have been capped previously and I did not see anything disconnected or anything different in the vacuum diagram. Plugged it and no problems/ no codes
Scrap piece of vacuum line with a small bolt or a golf tee works good

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys, I just gave my 01 Disco 2se a major 230,000 mile tune up and I was get'n crazy with the 1174 1171 1590. I replaced the coil packs, intake gasket, wires, spark plugs (E3s), radiator, O2 sensors, mafs, , purge valve, and the radio. Then boom, 1174 1171 1590. Give me a break. I was setting up to do the cigar test and I found it. I neglected to re-connect the valve cover hose to the valve cover fitting. It was the hose under the throttle body assembly that is down stream from the MAFS. I wouldn't have seen it though if it wasn't for you guys. I didn't have to do cigar test after all. I owe you guys some BBQ ribs. I'll post a pic soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts