Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If anyone will reply/even look at the post entitled 'sprung a leak', if all is bad, I will be rebuilding. While the block is stripped, I'm considering twin-turboing the V8.
Has anyone done this before? What's the compression like - low enough for this?

L

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Oil leaks from the heads can usually only be cured by pulling the motor as you suspect. With regards to twin turbos (please post your compression ratio), I don't think anyone has done this before, however, I do run supercharging, and as I have said in an other post on the forum, to do it properly (turbocharging is no exception), it is expensive. I assume your motor is a 3.5L, in which case, the better and cheaper alternative is to stroke it to 4.2L.

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Pulling the motor is a beeee-ach.
Trust me. My expert mechanic buddy said if his head gasket fails he will do it with the engine in the truck instead of pulling it like we did mine.

The rear motor hook is way back there and the transmission bolts are not any fun at all to pull or put back. It is obvious that they put the motor on the frame and then the body over it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what's actually wrong - will drop it into mechanic. I'm $3600 under budget, so much work can be done. I want to fit a nice set of alloys (getting the adapters) and have the engine thoroughly worked on, carputer, leather, respray, and a friend's doing a bodykit

L

· Registered
8 Posts
well

I find in most cases that pulling the engine is not the awnser. if you send me more info I could give you some good infomation. Like where it is coming from what kind of leak and how bad. I work on cars for a living. I have ran into a few problems but for the most part I bet that I can help. I own a 93 RR classic LWB and I have had my fair share of problem. and to say the least they are not your regular run of the mill a to b vehicles. So with more info i will be happy to help. About turbo charging that would be spendy but preety sweet, but if you ask me I think it is not the greatest idea because to what I know it is a high commpresson engine so there would be a bit of work to do if you want to push some serious boost. Fell free to ask me any questions about Forced induction I would say I know a bit about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.