Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas

Two more form myself before x-mas...

I have bought my FL used and I don´t have the small plate with the code (It´s supossed to come with the key holder)

I have bought two handsets just to have them as replacements, but dunnow how to coded it, what should I do? There is no official LR dealer here.

Second question, I am replacing the coolant and the mechanic asked me what coolant should he pour...I am almost sure the one that comes originally with the car is the Red one right? but he has an orange one and now I´m doubtful.

Hope you can help with my last couple of questions...for this year

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you mates

:clap:

· Registered
110 Posts
Me again - the fobs can only coded by a dealer or at least someone with the freelander diagnostics computer - the reason is the fob has to be coded to the security computer in the car - if the fob subsequently gets out of sync with the security computer you can fix this your self by using the method I highlighted on the other thread.

Are you in the UK? If so, you can can also try http://www.remotekey.co.uk/

As far as coolant goes - I went through a similar thing recently - if you were in Australia, unless a special mixture is required - the coolants are generally green with a 3 or 5 year life - super long life is the orange stuff (super expensive too) - here red and orange coolant is basically the same stuff - as I change my coolant each year I use the cheaper green stuff (3 year life) mixed 50:50 - (cold climate in winter).

I was advised by my local landrover mechanic that no freelander's do not require and special coolant as long as it is high quality, is antifreeze/anti boil and anti corriosion - all quality (brand name) coolants provide this protection.

Cheers

Garry

Where are you anyway?

· Registered
128 Posts
garrycol said:
mechanic that no freelander's do not require and special coolant as long as it is high quality, is antifreeze/anti boil and anti corriosion - all quality (brand name) coolants provide this protection.

Not correct. Spec on coolant is OAT technology coolant only. Dex-cool or anything meeting that spec is generally acceptable. Green coolant doesn't meet spec.

· Registered
64 Posts
Have to agree with frick, be carefull what quality you use, dont forget the problems with the 1.8s , you just might invalidate you warranty if you dont use the correct coolant specified by LR.

· Registered
110 Posts
Note that my comments on coolant were prefaced by "in Australia".

The car we are talking about is a 99 SE3 - with a 1.8 engine - the book for pre June 2000 Freelanders lists the coolant as having to meet BS 6580 and BS 5117 standards and is Ethylene glycol based with non-phosphate corrosion inhibitors, containing no methanol. The post June 2000 cars have the same stuff but the corrosion inhibitors are the be Organic Acid Technology (OAT).

In my country the green stuff and the orange stuff meet the pre June 2000 requirements and the post 2000 requirements and the only difference is the life of the product - not its protection - orange is 5years - one version of the green is 4 years and the other green version is 2 years. - we don't even use the BS standard.

The Rover Part Number for coolant is GAA436

Garry

· Registered
64 Posts
Garry
Part numbers must be different of Oz, Landrover Microcat parts system tells me part number for coolant is RTC5782A
There must be a change then in different countrys.
Have a good xmas everyone.
Cheers
Steve

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Fellas

I have added a red coolant made by Motul...seems cool to me.

Regarding the handsets...I am not in the UK anymore...I came back to Venezuela (where the hot chicks live) and my FL is from Germany. (Cos we drive on the left-hand side).

Do not have an official dealer but I might get away with those if find the code and maybe some "how to crack" from the web.

MERRY X-MAS MATES...ENJOY and till 06

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.