Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time user, but impressed with the site.

Has anyone tried 35" tyres on a stock defender? I have a 130 dual cab ute that I love to test out off road when i can. Down under, a lot of the tracks are so well worn and blown out that my current tyres (238/85/16, approx 32") do not give me enough clearance. (the extra long wheel base on the 130 does not help).
Some local Landy lovers have virtually abused be for suggesting such a big tyre, saying it is sacrelidge....and I respect the purist approach....
But, it is purely out of a need for more clearance.
I know the speedo will be way out, my low gearing and highway power will suffer etc, but this is only for occasional use, I run stock tyres other times and are not going more than 50km/30miles from home base.
So.....
Short version,.... will I have clearance problems, will I need a bit of body lift, will I get rubbing anywhere, will the offset of the wider rims should fix that, will I need th replace the front flares with ones that give more clearance?
Also....If I run 15" rims, is there an issue with brakes/callipers or other front end underbody gear
Has anyone been there with this?
Muchly appreciated for any assistance.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm not very familiar with how much clearance you have around the wheel arch on the Defender, however, I don't think a 35" tyre is going to fit without some lifting and/or panel cutting.
What I do know is that you can fit 15" rims without any of the issues you mentioned.

· Registered
590 Posts
Usually if you are in colder climates tire manufacturers only produce skinny tires bro.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
You can get 8-10 rims or wider in 15". Here's what you need to do. Get the 15" rim width that you want, 8", 10" etc. Cut out the centre. Now cut out the centre from a 16" Range Rover rim and machine it down to 15". After you have calculated the "offset" that you need, weld the RR centre into the rim. Grind off any rough spots and either paint or powder coat. Best if you can get a wheel manufacturer to do it for you. Here's what mine look like in 8".

· Registered
238 Posts
35" Won't fit on a stock. I used to have 33" with a 2 inch spring lift. I now run the 33" with 2 inch spring and 2" blocks plan on going to 35" when these tyres die in about 3 to 4 months. I think you would need to have 3" inch lift before 35" would squeaze under. A body lift on a defender would be a huge pain the arse and a burden on the chash flow. Have a look under the truck and see how rover attach the body to the rails it is done in a very different way to normal trucks. That is why I went to the blocks on the springs a different driving style is need as the centre of ballance is now higher. I will try and post some photo's.
Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.