Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my rover's previous ONE owner had bought a new rover, and proceeded to let the old one (my new '90 classic) sit in his yard for nearly a year, after letting his daughter put around in it for about a year or so before that. Needles to say, the neglect took it's toll. The underbody is completely covered in rust. It doesn't appear that anything is rusted through, with the exceptions of the shocks, which I'm replacing, and the rear pass. side splash panel thing behind the wheel and the mud guard brackets. All the bolts, however are rusted, (i twisted both bolts off on the driver's side that hold the plastic front air dam on where the fog light bracket is) the diff's, framerails, etc are all a lovely rust brown hue. My question is how to remove and restore the underside. Wire brush and lots of muscle? Special rust-hungry nanobyte robots? Alien intervention? Any help appreciated. Also, after de-rusting, should I repaint everything and then seal it? :D

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I see on the TV that media blasting is the way to get to the bare metal. And you know then, you will have to repaint every thing.

If I was going to do this I would probably media blast it and then have it painted. Maybe even Line-x or Rhino lined. You know nothing is getting under those coatings.

But all this sounds like a really lot of work. I don't have the money or time or space to do a project this big.

I have rust on the tail gate and rear window just like you. But I'm just letting it ride for now. I know I'll have to replace them eventually.

Any bolt I took off would be replaced with stainless steel. I do that now. No matter the rust under it. Nearly every project takes an extra day because I have to take the bolts down and match them with stainless ones.

Let us know what you do and take some pics.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
A lot of people swear by POR 15 (http://www.por15.com/). It suposed to work with the rust. Scrape and brush the loose rust off and paint on the POR 15.

From their site...
"POR-15 works because it chemically bonds to rusted metal and forms a rock- hard, non-porous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It keeps moisture away from metal with a coating that is strengthened by continued exposure to moisture....POR-15 will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints."

·
Registered
3 Posts
To get the rust off attack it with a scraper (a couple of old, slightly blunt, chisels are ideal for clearing away underseal and flaking paint), then wire brush it (if you've got a grinder it'll make short work of any really nasty bits). Blasting is more effective, but gets EVERYWHERE, so you'll have to do a lot of dismantling before you start.

Once the metal is clean use any good rust converter to treat the metal. I use Jenolite (POR 15 and others all do a similar job) - the idea is to chemically neutralise all the remaining rust (even if the panel looks shiny it'll still have tiny specks of rust that will spread over time). Then just apply anything that will seal the surface. I generally use any 'glossy' red oxide primer for underfloors followed by a good coat of underseal (waxoyl or similar, something that stays flexible). For the chassis, a couple of coats of Hammerite will do the trick.

Be careful if you're replacing bolts on any safety critical parts (steering, suspension, brakes etc.) as more than likely they'll be high tensile steel - a standard stainless bolt won't be a suitable replacement. If you're in doubt (and the original is in good nick) better to just whack some copper grease on it to prevent rusting. If you're getting new bolts, make sure the supplier knows what it's come off so they can help you choose.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
We dont' get much rust here in California, but I always put a nice coat of "ruberized undercarriage treatment" of any new rovers. It takes 3 or 4 cans of this $3 stuff. It cleans up the underside and makes it look new...
Cheap.. Do it yourself.. under $15.00 .. Make sure you use rubber gloves, and have a nice big piece of cardboard under what you are working on to keep the rubber stuff from dripping on to your driveway//

This is particularly good for making your hitch and wheel wells look BRAND NEW !!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Easiest way I know is to sell the dang thing!!!!!!!!!!:D

I live in VA and they have a lot of salt of on the road but the chassis is OK, each spring I get underneath a hoist and rug up and just use a wire brush to remove all spots - then use a liberal amount of rustoleum black paint. Seems to work????????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.