Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

Could you take a brief look at my pictures below and see if you notice anything questionable about the underside of my car, please?

I took an in-depth observation of my undercarriage and noted these items:

1. What is the odd part on my driver-side wheel housing that seems to be missing a connected component?

2. There is a control arm-like component that has a shock absorber component to it that is obviously in need of replacing. It's loose, the rubber bushings are going out, and the shock itself is pretty much dead -- producing a looseness or pulling sometimes in the steering.

FYI: I am aware that I am to rebuild my front and rear driveshafts. The vehicle is *not* being driven until this done.

Thoughts? Thanks!

20130621_091528.jpg 20130621_091610.jpg 20130621_091659.jpg 20130621_091715.jpg 20130621_091726.jpg

20130621_091736.jpg 20130621_093129.jpg 20130621_093338.jpg 20130621_093135.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
The thing you pointed out that has nothing attached to it is for right hand drive Discoveries. The steering components have to be swapped to the other side, so that's where the steering link attaches. The thing you circled is the lower ball joint on your steering knuckle. If that is worn out, it needs to be replaced and will cause problems with your steering. If it fails, you could lose control of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Lets start with the basics, what year is it, how many miles on it and do you do any wheeling?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The "shock" is your steering damper. Replacement runs about $50 new. 5 minute swap out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As for your ball joints, thats going to take some time if you dont have air hammer. I did one side of my disco with a screw press and it took forever. I did the other side with an air hammer i got from harbor freight and the came out alot easier even though the old ball joint were destroyed in the process but there trash any way. Putting them in is cake. I suggest downloading the rave manual from the link in Mikes sig, it will help out alot.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
With your mileage, your suspension has long since been shot, the height of your truck has dropped by at least 1.5"s do to collapsed springs, your shocks were dead at around 60,000 miles as is the steering stabilizer good chance you have a few warn out tie rod ends also. If you want to really improve your ride, install a good set of Old Man Emu shock and steering stabilizer.
As for the rest of your truck, go to the top of this section and read/do the major service list, especially the replacement or rebuild of the front drive shaft before it fails and takes out your tranny. Most of this can all be done by anyone, will save you close to $1000 over a shop or dealer ship prices and are all needed.
If you have any questions, give me a shout or PM me your number and I'll be glad to walk you thru this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With your mileage, your suspension has long since been shot, the height of your truck has dropped by at least 1.5"s do to collapsed springs, your shocks were dead at around 60,000 miles as is the steering stabilizer good chance you have a few warn out tie rod ends also. If you want to really improve your ride, install a good set of Old Man Emu shock and steering stabilizer.
As for the rest of your truck, go to the top of this section and read/do the major service list, especially the replacement or rebuild of the front drive shaft before it fails and takes out your tranny. Most of this can all be done by anyone, will save you close to $1000 over a shop or dealer ship prices and are all needed.
If you have any questions, give me a shout or PM me your number and I'll be glad to walk you thru this.
Mike, my tie rods (and the steering damper) are showing considerable wear, but how can you tell that the suspension is "shot" as you say and how could I tell if the truck has dropped in height significantly?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Remove any shock and you will see it has hardily any compression plus if you measure the height of your truck, at your mileage it will be at least 1.5"s shorter then when new.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mike, my tie rods (and the steering damper) are showing considerable wear, but how can you tell that the suspension is "shot" as you say and how could I tell if the truck has dropped in height significantly?
Starting point for suspension sag.

Front. Nominal height from hub centre to wheel arch (not liner)*
500 ± 15 mm (19.7 ± 0.6 in)

Rear. Nominal height from hub centre to wheel arch (not liner):*
⇒ Coil spring 483 ± 15 mm (19.0 ± 0.6 in)
⇒ Air spring 473 ± 15 mm (18.6 ± 0.6 in)

* Measurement taken with vehicle at unladen weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts