Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone currently have their LR3 headliner out?

I’m looking for what the underside of the roof rack/rail mounts look like.

Rain leaking inside from roof. Not front sunroof/drains. Not windshield. Headliner is wet around top of b and c pillars. I’m chasing leaks from rain and it’s none of the normal culprits. My new roof rack (custom) is installed with the larger m10(?) bolts through the feet into the roof… with the factory rail mount inserts removed. I’ve got a lot of silicone around both the bolt and the feet of the rack, so in theory that’s sealed. But there’s room for error and gaps of course. The other issue I have is the large rear glass is cracked. After my trip to Moab it’s considerably worse. A few of the cracks can be felt as you run your finger across them outside, none inside. I think it’s the exterior glass layer only. However many go to the edge of the glass so I’m wondering if it’s leaking around the edge. I no longer have the factory rails or the gutter covers so that’s all more exposed now than before. It’s rained hard several times since we installed the new rack but these last few times it’s leaked enough to fill the foot wells up so that water runs out when you open the rear doors. All apart and drying. Again.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
very disco
2,802 Posts
your new rack is mounted to the OEM rail fitting points?

still waiting for that beauty plate :oops:

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still waiting on that beauty ring as well. 😬

rack mounts at bottom of track/gutter with a wide flat foot. M10 (I think) bolt into roof where the old raised nut insert was that the factory rails mounted to. Except for the potential pond on wheels effect, it’s exactly what I’ve wanted to do for a year now and am very happy with it. 😀

·
very disco
2,802 Posts
IIRC, the standoffs don’t actually enter the vehicle right?

you must have something else, maybe a fissure in the gutter? The gutter is where they hid the weld between the roof panel and body, it’s just caulked and painted too. Perhaps removing the gutter inserts caused the water to be channeled into your failure point?

and I love a good roof rack myself!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Sky Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts