Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,

I took ownership of my first LR3 yesterday, a 2005 HSE HD with 140K miles. Runs and drives excellently.

One thing I noticed was that when the AC is on the air coming out of the drivers side vents is significantly cooler than the air coming out of the passenger side vents. The air isn't warm but just not as cold. I immediately think blend motors but when I cycle all the vent locations everything blows where it's supposed to.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. They are set to the same temperatures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is both a driver's side and a passenger side blend motor/actuator. Perhaps the passenger side blend motor isn't functioning correctly? If that's the case, you're actually lucky. The driver's side blend motor is a huge pain in the butt to get to and requires a lot of disassembly. On the flip side, the passenger side blend motor is relatively simple to access.

I believe it's located on the passenger side of the center console area. You're supposed to remove the glove box (don't know if this is really necessary), the bottom trim piece under the glove box, and the footwell duct through that area. After that, you should be able to remove the blend door actuator.

Before you do that, you may want to try to test it though. There is procedure where if you hold a certain combination of buttons on the temperature control unit on startup, it should cycle through and test various components, then blink at you with error codes. Do a search and see if you can find the procedure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I found the test procedure online where the ECON and RECIRC buttons are held down when when turning the car to the on position. According to the directions the blend motors aren't exhibiting an issue.

My buddy has a similar issue with his 07 LR3 but he can't get heat out of the drivers side vents.

It almost feels like the blend door isn't clocked correctly like it doesn't close all the way to only allow AC. If I turn both driver and passenger to the same temp, say 68 degrees, the drivers will be cold while the passenger starts to blow warm air. Seems like the door isn't calibrated correctly.

I have access to an AutoLogic, can I monitor and/or calibrate the blend doors?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a gauge on the AC line and saw low pressure. Had the system vacuumed and recharged and now it's working great. Not sure where all the refrigerant went but I'll be monitoring it from here forward.

Simple fix and makes a ton of difference when driving the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well so much for the easy answer!

I don't know, man, sorry....
Well I'll be. It WAS an easy answer! Love it when that happens.

Actually, this is good to know, because I wouldn't think that low refrigerant would cause that sort of a problem. I actually had the opposite. I overfilled my system at one point and the compressor would randomly shut off at times, then come back on, then shut off again. After I monitored the pressures with my IID tool (more accurate than the harbor freight gauges I was using), I realized I had too much R-134a in the system. I let some out and it's been much happier since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.