Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got to military uni in the UK and l have been assigned the task with two other girls of designing and building an overdrive unit for the Landrover Defender.

If anyone owns such a unit or has any images/designs or information on it l would be most grateful.

you can either email me [email protected] or [email protected].

So far me and my colleges have had very little luck with getting any help with this as the only people that seem to know anything about these units are the manufacturers themselves and they aint too keen to give us information.

The gearbox we are using is the LT77 if that makes a difference.

Many thanks and l hope to hear from anyone soon.

Liza :wave:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
i don't know the web site but there is a company "Gearvendor" they do custom over and underdrives.. I have installed a few on motorhome and they were always helpful to me..

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
GKN are the only overdrive for the Defender that comes to mind. There ought to be plenty of suppliers with info. I believe I ran accross the GKN website and there was a fair bit of tech stuff. Nice thing about it is the electric engagement.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info l have been looking for a GKN website as l have seen a few of their units for sale. I have one sectional view of it but due to being an epicyclic unit it is rather difficult to see exactly what is going on inside the thing.

If anyone else has any information it would be much apprechiated or even better a link to the actual GKN site. :D

· Registered
135 Posts
helpless_uni_student, first you say your assignment is to design a overdrive unit then you ask for the answer to be given to you. SHAME SHAME. Where is your academic integrity?????, When you do eventually design one you could put it up on this site for some constructive criticism and modify from there but to outright ask for the answer.......... :eek:

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
shurrup

Nowt wrong with asking!!!!,asking and using your nut is what learning is all about new subjects should be researched to improve and advance exsisting ideas.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
helpless_uni_student said:
Hi,

I got to military uni in the UK and l have been assigned the task with two other girls of designing and building an overdrive unit for the Landrover Defender.

If anyone owns such a unit or has any images/designs or information on it l would be most grateful.

you can either email me [email protected] or [email protected].

So far me and my colleges have had very little luck with getting any help with this as the only people that seem to know anything about these units are the manufacturers themselves and they aint too keen to give us information.

The gearbox we are using is the LT77 if that makes a difference.

Many thanks and l hope to hear from anyone soon.

Liza :wave:
Have a look for fairy overdrives they were of a simple design and may give you an insight into overdrives these were fitted to the earlier series gearbox and the lt 95 rangerover box and broken ones are cheap and plentiful if you need one to examine

· Registered
192 Posts
Will this overdrive you design be better than existing ones? Is the aim to rectify any problems with current ones?

If it is then are you going to market it? If you do then I'm sure you coould do some market research on some of us. I'm sure plenty of people here (including me) would be happy to test a prototype unit.

Good luck with the assignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.