Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be parking my urban assault LR3 for a month at my office and was wondering if I should drop it and leave it in access height or just leave it be in normal. Suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would probably pull into the spot while in access mode. You know how whenever you drop it sitting still, it seems like the camber adjustment seems to "stress" the tires... I always roll into access height and more than likely you might be on the stops after a month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless your parking has a <6' clearance there's no reason to lower it. Lowering it every day will also add unnecessary cycles on the already limited life of the air compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree 100% with not lowering on a daily basis, though if you were leaving it parked for a month with no use... It will wake up and self level if there has been a dip on a corner. Lowering all the way down at first would just eliminate some of these processes. Either way, not a big deal whichever you do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No issues with it being to tall. I was wanting to avoid it waking up self level itself over the course of a month while I'm not driving it. So taking it to access eliminates the system doing anything as I understand?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I strongly suggest lowering it every day, and parking for extended periods of time(including overnight) in access mode. The way the springs articulate is by folding over on themselves, this fold always being at the same spot wears out the rubber at that point over time. By it spending half of its time with the fold at a different section of rubber, you can effectively double the life of the spring.

I very much advocate this on the RR, as it has far more spring issues then the LR3, but the same holds true. Also, the compressors generally don't fail from normal use. They fail from overuse, and heat, which is caused by leaks in the system. The most common leak is from the dryer. Allowing the desiccant to cycle more can extend the life of it as well, and it will not break down as rapidly as when it is just sitting there, and only randomly, and when topping off the reservoir.

I fully agree with lowering it while still moving to not create tire/suspension binding. Once lowered, allow the compressor to run until it stops, to refill the reservoir.

It will still wake up to level itself out at access, but will actually lower itself(unless you have a leak) far less, as there is less air pressure to change in each spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roverguy, good explanation and thought perspective on suggesting to lower every day... never thought of that, but makes sense now that you brought it up!

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's what I've done since I bought a P38 years ago, and what I suggest to all my customers.

One thing I will, and should have noted above, is if the suspension has an issue already, it might not be the best idea to start doing this, as it does force the system to work. The main issue these have is the dryers causing compressor problems. The most basic of checks to ensure you don't have a large leak from there is when you start the truck, the compressor should run, but only for <30 seconds or so(as long as it was allowed to refill for any height changes when shut off) If it is running for longer then that, I would not start doing this, as there is a problem lying in wait on your vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah dude thank you so much! I live up north of Frederick so you guys will be my go to shop now! Cheers-

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for this info RoveGuy. I had been wondering about having the springs at the same level basically all the time. And it's way cheaper to replace a compressor than 4 air springs anyway.

On a side note I notice that my compressor runs for only 5 or 10 seconds upon startup most of the time but will then run for 30 to 45 seconds every now and then. Does that sound odd? Anything to do with it leveling itself out different amounts depending on where its parked and sits?

Thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
242 Posts
compressor runs for only 5 or 10 seconds upon startup most of the time but will then run for 30 to 45 seconds every now and then.
No, that's about right. If it has the need to raise itself at all, due to leveling while parked, it will need to run longer then normal to 'top off' the reservoir due to releasing some pressure into the springs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts