Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point I want to upgrade my brakes. I have been told that can cobble together the drum brakes of a 109 as these are bigger than standard 88 brakes, but in order to fit disc brakes, I would have to change my axles completly and put on dico axles. This wopuld have a whole load of other drivetrain implications. Ar there any 'bolt ob' discs available, or any off of other car makers vehicles that will fit some how?

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
brakes

Chris perfect does series disc conversions www.chrisperfect.com But 109 brakes will be more than ample and cheaper compared to a disc conversion,if yo do get a 109 set up make sure you use a 109 master cylinder.If you want the ultimate in drum brakes get some off a 2.6 109 these are bigger still than standard 109 brakes.
Cheers Onz

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is Zeus still around in the UK? They had a conversion kit as well for converting from drums to discs...however it necessitated rims with a wider offset...

Yeah, here's the link:

http://www.zeus.uk.com/index.htm

I was thinking about something like this whenever I have the time to get the 109 project started...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brakes

Lawnmower, like me, you have a diesel which can hardly move, so why upgrade the brakes? You could come down Fish hill flat out, lift for the corner and stop without hitting ther middle pedal!

oh, mine's faster than yours, so there!

Even at these heady speeds, Evesham seems a long way from Beckford in the Landy.

Cheers, Gripper :wave:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bogatyr, have asked for a quote so shall start saving/reconsidering.

Granted my landy is slow, but it would be nice to be able to know that I can stop within 100 yards from 45mph!

btw gripper, if youre in Beckford, that ain't too far, I took the thing to wales last week! you know any good offroading round here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lawnmower,
Please share what this kit cost you when you find out...I'm sure shipping across the pond won't be cheap...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
125 Posts
SIII brakes are usually up to the job if they're in good condition, and while disc are easier to maintain and ultimately more effective, they are not really worth the outlay. I'll second the idea of fitting dual cct brakes from a late 109, if you really need to up the spec, but try servicing your existing setup properly first. If you need a 109 dual circuit master cylinder and reservoir, I'm replacing my old but serviceable unit with new during the rebuild. You can have it for £15.

Btw, sorry I wasn't there to give you a hand with the chassis bits; hope it wasn't too difficult and that the x-member proves useful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Land of my fathers

I can see Wales from home, when it isn't shrouded in cloud but the thought of driving there. My Landy is maintained to survive locally so I would need a big dose of brave pills to drive it that far, and ear defenders.

How about this, I spoke to a guy in Perth, down under today with the only TVR Tuscan in Oz. Now, that is brave.

As for off roading in these parts, not too much as far as I can tell. The Romans abandoned a few roads south of here which we can still use but upsetting the two legged fascists has never been my thing. My neighbour is into green laning and I might join in if he lets me know about the next trip. I'll post a message.

I would like to do the Sarn Helen in Wales but this needs the benefit of an experienced group I think, and a decent pry bar to get the ramblers out of the tyre treads!

Gripper. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bogatyr, I tried to find out but as i use a public email (yahoo) i think my message got rejected. Will try from work next time i'm in the office.

No poblem Snagger, i think it took longer for me to take all the crap I was carting about with me out of the car then it did to get the chassis section in there. Stayed in there for a week mind, untill I persuaded my missus to help unjam it from the (in)sides of my car.

If you ever wants an extra vehicle for a trip then count me in! :drink1:
No point going through all the greif of being a landy owner unless you use it.
As for the pills, I took out AA cover discounted for 2 people so I can get towed back home.

Wheres sarn helen? I'm sure I could persuade a couple of people to tag along, with an assortmant of recovery equipment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I loaded up my Stage 1 with 28 limstone blokes ( 400kg ) and my drum brakes were more than up to the task but disc brakes would be nice but I would rather spend my money on something else

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
V8_Agro said:
I loaded up my Stage 1 with 28 limstone blokes ( 400kg ) and my drum brakes were more than up to the task but disc brakes would be nice but I would rather spend my money on something else

Recieved this back today

"Many thanks for your email enquiry, the cost of the Disc Brake kit is
£609.53 :eek: this includes VAT and carriage within the UK. For your
information
I have attached our leaflet..

Kind regards

Marielouise Beck"

Thats more than my landy cost!

I was hoping someone might know of a suitable donor car whos brakes would fit????

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lawnmower,
:eek: that translates to $1094 USD...prolly another few hundred for shipping...eek...that's more than my truck cost too. I wonder how many more they would sell if the price was half of that...
Well, that's not gonna happen.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Land Rover Disc Kit
For
Series I II & III Front & Back
90/100 Rear Axle & Salisbury Rear Axles

The Zeus Disc Brake kit is a simple and effective conversion to transform
drum brakes on any Series Land Rover (front and rear), or Land Rovers with
Salisbury rear axles, to disc brakes. Containing all the required parts,
fitting is simple, as it uses the familiar Land Rover procedure used to
service a wheel bearing. It is a non-invasive technique, which requires no
modification to the swivel ball housing, so no need for grinders or drills.
In fact the complete kit can be removed from one vehicle to another without
leaving any trace of the conversion. The upgrade to disc brakes requires
fitting 16" 6J wheels. These accommodate the 4 pot stainless steel
calipers, and with stronger wheels, attached with the included extension
studs maximise the benefits of the improved disc braking. More rubber
through a larger "footprint", gives better and more controlled braking,
especially in wet and muddy conditions. For more information on this kit please contact Zeus or your local distributor."

·
Registered
146 Posts
You should still be able to buy most of the parts new and you would proberly only have to get the backing plate and the drum from a wreckers

That kit works out to nearly $1200 AUD but that seems cheap to me as that kit here sells from around the 1600 mark i think

1 - 17 of 17 Posts