Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded or updated their binnacle lights?
At night, I can see my instruments, but it is pretty dim
My dimmer dial works
Is it possible to switch to LED?
I have to pull my cluster soon to repair speedo cable and would love to brighten up my dash lights.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
very disco
953 Posts
I did this in my 88 Jaguar xjs, upgraded everything to LED. It ended up being too bright and overpowered the coloration of everything. Also the dimmer control became an on/off dial with a chance of damaging the cheap LED lamps. Your mileage may vary

·
Expert Crate Digger
198 Posts
Adding LED bulbs to the binnacle mad easy. If buying on ebay, go with a reputable LED store.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
The dimmer dial never allows full power to the lights. I simply added a switch that bypassed the dial. The dash lights are a lot brighter. I installed a simple 2 way with. Switch it one way and the dimmer still controls the lights, switch it the other way and it is bypassed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats interesting. I will first try to bypass the dimmer switch
I think my warning lights are brighter than the lights that are on if I hit the headlights.
Maybe I can just replace those dimmer ones with LED? Maybe it woudnt be overly bright???
Does anyone have info on what LED to buy? Is there a specific name or part number.
Seems like there are a lot of different ones.

Thanks all

·
very disco
953 Posts
Maybe I’m too fussy, but that upgraded LED image is what I had, and I didn’t care for it. Everything is the same color, and there’s much light-bleed because the unit wasn’t designed to trap nearly as much light as the LED puts out. Not to mention, it no longer matches the rest of the dashboard illumination.

·
Expert Crate Digger
198 Posts
To match the binnacle, I changed to Blue LEDs in the clock/door lock switch, climate controls, all 8 window buttons (4 in doors & 4 in center console).
The only ones still green is in the gear selector and the button for the sunroofs.
At times it can get too bright and lit up like a nightclub in the cab when the climate controls and window buttons in the center console are on. The dimmer switch somewhat takes the brightness down to about 800 lumens. lol

·
very disco
953 Posts
Haha yeah. That’s bright AF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts