Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks , brand new to the board. I purchased an 01 SE-7 with all the goodies on it. Unfortunatley it needs brakes quite soon. I was looking at the Atlantic British Kit the $499 one that includes the slotted rotors and the kevlar pads. I am very mechanically inclined and usually do all my work myself. Is there any special tips or tricks aniyone could help me with? Is it a straight Swap? Is there anything special about the ABS I need to know about. I called a local Meinike and they do not want to touch it unless they buy all the stuff :rolleyes: typical I know but the guy kept talking about the ABS seal on the back of the rotors or something any ideas.? thanks alot and keep rockin.. this site is awesome. thanks again,
Russell

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Brakes

I have a 99 DII that I up graded using the same combination you are using, works really well, stops much better with less fade and dust.
You should also bleed the brakes completely, this will give you a firmer pedal.
So how many miles do you have on your truck, what are yo going to be doing with it??
Mike J.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. 80k on it I will Mainly just be commuting with occasional off road use. and towing my motorcycle trailer.
Back on the brakes, I assumed it was a preety easy job, I couldnt figure out what the hell the guy at meinike was talking about in regard to the ABS, unless he thought I was replacing the calipers.. thanks again,
Russell

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
When you ge ready to do this, e-mail me at
[email protected]
and I will walk you thru it.
Buy at least a quart of brake fluid, I use synthetic, and plan on at least 2 hours and a six pack to finish the job. By the way, the only somewhat special tool you will probably need is a nut driver with a large phillips head to remove the rotor from the axle.
Mike J.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
aint very hard. get yourself a few cans of brake clean, a 19mm twelve star socket and a twelve millimeter as well.

get a screwdriver to pull up on the calipers.

And a impact hammer for the one screw. then smack the rotor like a red headed step child to get it off.

in the meantime clean everything of rust, Get yourself a steel toothbruth. yOu can get them at homedepot in the plumbing section.

Get some brake caliper grease and clean and lube the brake slides.

make sure they move. oh and a c clamp. If you aint got one just go out and buy a brake pad speader.

oh and some antiseize on the hub surface.

come to think of it take the back wheels off and do the same with the antiseize. that way if you get stuck with a flat you can take the tire off easily.

And get yourself some rubber gloves. cause it aint gonna be clean and easy.

· Registered
18 Posts
I may be misinformed here, but something worth checking out...

The fellow who does the work on our Disco II was previously a shop foreman at the local Land Rover dealership. He tells me there is two different front calipers on early DIIs, which means 99-01, I believe. There is a bulletin on it, but not a warranty replacement. This is because the grooves cut into the original calipers for the rubber seals are too wide, therefore the piston moves away from the pad too much when the brake is release. This causes a lower than necessary pedal, and a slight delay in brake response due to the extra travel of the piston to the pad. He tells me that there is an updated replacement caliper which the dealers use when doing full brake jobs, which has more pronounced ribs along its spine than the original. I think the part number is the same, and the only visual difference is the bigger ribs.

Anyone able to shed more light on this? My brakes work good, but have the original calipers still, and they do exhibit a slightly low pedal.

If my friend is correct, then you might want to get the updated calipers when you update the rest of your hardware.

Dave

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Brake Calipers

Dave,
Your friend is right regarding the new style caliper. At nearly $300 each I think I will wait till my old calipers fail.
Right now I am going to stay with my DBA rotors and Kevlar pads for my 99 DII, they don't fade, stop well and have very little dust.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I don't know, all the people I know, are using Kevlar pads on their slotted rotors, that is not to say they don't work. I would call Atlantic british or one of the other suppliers and see what they say.
Mike J.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Kevlar pads like originals will make noise if you reuse the originals and leave telltale brake rotor ridge on them.

Happens on any car line.

New pads should always have new surfaces to go with them to reduce brake noise and decrease pedal fade.

YOu either cut em within specs or replace them.

Since LR doesnt provide specs we replace them. But alot of times they are so bad you have to anyway.

At Ford we used to measure first and then cut them. Worked well. Especially for brake pulsation. Ford even gave us all specs for the techs. worked well. Especially with an on the car brake lathe. less time and better cut no run out problems.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Don't worry about the ABS sencor . It's in the hub . So it has nothing to do with the rottors :) .

I know cause I change my ABS sencor last night .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.