Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*EDIT* After using them for a couple hours I noticed that the rear tail assemblies were starting to melt a bit right in front of the bulbs.....therefore I suggest using bulbs less powerful the the 1156LLs to replace them.....im not sure what one size down is, but perhaps that would work. Anyhow, for now, have just switched back my original bulbs, and using the 1156LL's to replace my reverse and brake lights in the tail assemblies.... they are not much brighter then the stock bulbs (7565....or something) and are the same size as well.

...Just wanted to warn you guys....im kinda bumed out about the melted spots, but hey....you win some and you loose some.....at least they arnt holes. Im about to go out and pressure wash the rover to see if the ABS codes are just because of the sensors being covered in mud or something.....I will consider it a trade off if I can get it to work.... *EDIT*

Alright....

I wanted my DII's nighttime running lights brighter.....so I replaced the bulbs with bigger ones....a simple 15min modification that takes longer when its dark.

I used Sylvania 1156LL bulbs from walmart. While I was at it I wanted to make my reverse lights a tad brighter too. The bulbs were about $2/two bulb pack...I do not believe they are the recomended bulbs for the tail lights as a replacement for the brake and reverse bulbs. They are definatly not replacements for the nighttime running bulbs. Also, you can only replace the inner bulbs because the outter bulbs cannot fit into the lamp assebly because of a the internal metal structural piece not letting it go deep enough.

First you must disassemble the lamp assembly (duh):

This is a comparison between the two bulbs, as you can see the 1156LL's are substantially bigger:

What I did is basically make the hole in the lamp assembly (that the tiny bulbs would fit into) bigger.....with what I had at hand. What I had was an electric hand drill.....messy, but it worked.

Once the right side bulb was fitted we took a comparison picture:

This is the final result with replacing the running bulbs and the reverse bulbs replaced with the 1156LL's:

....and that it. .....$4 and brighter lights! Hey! :)

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
That is a great mod man!!!!! Total props...Looks great too!!!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Looks good Josh,
Have you done anything with your headlights ?
If not, consoder some Hella 85/100's, hugh difference and don't need to change any wiring. With my 3" plus lift and lights reset, I have never had anyone flash me for being too bright.
Have a white Christmas.
Santa Barbara is going to be in the mid 70's today, OH WELL.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disco Mike said:
Looks good Josh,
Have you done anything with your headlights ?
If not, consoder some Hella 85/100's, hugh difference and don't need to change any wiring. With my 3" plus lift and lights reset, I have never had anyone flash me for being too bright.
Have a white Christmas.
Santa Barbara is going to be in the mid 70's today, OH WELL.
Mike J.
Yep.....65 degrees out here too.. :p It snowed last week, and one week later its 65...thats reno for ya.

Anyhow....yes, I have silverstar bulbs in mine...I dont think I could go much more powerful without upgrading the wiring harness for the lights...I would love those insane IPF bulbs that are super high wattages, but would fry stock harness.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
keptin said:
Yep.....I have silverstar bulbs in mine...I dont think I could go much more powerful without upgrading the wiring harness for the lights...I would love those insane IPF bulbs that are super high wattages, but would fry stock harness.
There are more than one wiring harness available. I have a 96 D1 so that uses the H4 headlights.

There is the (expensive,at $90) ARB wiring harness or the cheap ($25-$50) wiring harness that just plugs in to the existing harness and you just wire positive and negative direct to the battery. If anything is bad about the cheapie, it is the wiring mess you will create in the grille area. If you have the time, take the grille off and route it neatly.

I also dropped in the boost circuits to increase the voltage to the new bulbs. They work great, as well.

Adam in NYC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.